the Intrepid Fiberwizard

adventures in spinning, knitting, gardening and life

Saturday, October 1, 2005

Almost finished !

I bought some amazing green roving about 2 years ago while at Oregon Flock and Fiber - and began to spin it with a luscious sweater blooming in my mind's eye - a garter stitch cardigan that had a simple pattern to show of the wonderous yarn!

I had about 1 1/2 pounds of the roving, and some great buttons (by my friend Rama). Needless-to-say, my spinning went by the wayside, as I knit samples for our booth, dyed roving for the website and generally became distracted. I would eye it longingly and sigh.. awaiting the day I would "have time" to finish.. and often alluded to friends that my "favorite sweater" was complete!
( I think I was hoping to make this reality by stating it as a fact already! Hah!..or hmm, maybe it worked!)

But then, a year ago I met Fontelle, the owner of Great Yarns in Everett when she also had a booth at Seattle Knitter's Expo.- She helped me to select some glittery yarns to mix in with my roving - and the sweater came alive again! Fontelle told me that once someone asked her if she ever knit anything without glitter in it, and her answer was "whatever for? !" good answer ! Here's the pattern I came up with for the yarn layout:
Four rows of my green handspun, two rows of a glittery multicolored mohair, then four rows handspun, followed by two rows of a combo yarn made up of my handspun and a small shimmer yarn.
Liking this combo, I began to knit, and it went quickly due to the simple pattern. I realized about halfway through the two front pieces that I might not have enough green handspun.. hmmmm, oh dear. I bravely continued to knit, alterning the sleeves slightly from the pattern, to accomodate the lack of my handspun (since I was long ago out of roving).

FINALLY! I finished the sleeves and here's what I had left.


I laid out the sweater, and held my breath..did I have enough to sew it together?
Unsure, I continued.. ever the intrepid fiberwizard that I am!!

HURRAH! Success ! I finished with only tiny little scraps left.

I've now added the beautiful buttons, and the sweater is drying after its bath. Pictures of completion will follow shortly!

4 Comments:

At October 2, 2005 at 2:23 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

What a lovely sweater! No wonder you call yourself intrepid!

 
At October 2, 2005 at 9:34 PM, Blogger JustApril said...

The sweater is cool - As a fellow knitter afraid of socks, I thought I'd tell you I have a good beginner pattern for them - It took me a couple of tries, but I finally got it down (fortunately very small baby socks, so trial and error is not so labor intensive) Anyway, it's a decent way to overcome the terror of socks =)

 
At October 6, 2005 at 8:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! Impressive.
I'm not sure I could handle the stress that it must be to run out of handspun yarn when there is no way of getting a new roving. You are very brave, and an inspriation.

Look forward to seeing the sweater when it's dry!

 
At October 8, 2005 at 7:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful!! I can't wait to see the finished masterpiece.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home