the Intrepid Fiberwizard

adventures in spinning, knitting, gardening and life

Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Does this count as 'stash'?

I've had some fun lately reading other people's blogs about their "stash" of fiber and yarn! and it got me wondering - does the fiber I dye for our business count as stash??











There's about 110 skeins of pencil roving here-although they don't all show in this photo, they are lined up three deep! Yes, I am fortunate that I get to play with all of it, but for the most part I have it ready and awaiting orders!

Here's a bit more - in process - its drying, and getting ready to be skeined off. Each batch (8 skeins) takes about 2 hours to dye, 3 hours for the dye to 'set' on the fiber, and then a day to dry in this format, then another day or two to dry once its skeined. Its a fun process - despite being time consuming ! and the smell of white vinegar (the mordrant) eventually does fade :)

I found a great pattern by Sidair to knit a cardigan out of the unspun pencil roving - I'll be starting that soon.

One of these days, I'll get brave and take a picture of my fiber and yarn stash! Hah!

3 Comments:

At October 30, 2005 at 6:05 PM, Blogger Miri Mack said...

Wow, that's a lovely "stash." Is it hard to work with pencil roving? I am on a crochet kick right now and am wondering how that would work up.

If I took a picture of my stash it would be pitiful. 10 skeins does not a stash make. Okay, maybe it's 15 :wink:

 
At October 31, 2005 at 11:37 AM, Blogger Stacey said...

Wow - I love pencil roving! Are those angora goats? My sister picked up a bunch of "unwashed" fiber at the NH wool festival and has begun spinning it - love it!

Thanks for the comments on the Banff - let me know if you decide to use your tweedy yarn for it!

 
At November 2, 2005 at 10:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

beautiful-----i'm loving pencil roving......am spinning it with a drop- spindle- but may just knit it up!;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home