the Intrepid Fiberwizard

adventures in spinning, knitting, gardening and life

Tuesday, November 1, 2005

Finn Spinning

Every year around the end of May, the Northwest Regional Spinners have their annual conference. We have had such fun there ! Somewhere between 200-300 wild spinners descend on the event - spinning circles fill the room, there are classes and keynote speakers - and of course the fiber vendors as well. One of the annual events is a fiber exchange - each person donates 8 ounces of unspun fiber and we each take away 8 ounces of fiber (like a cookie exchange for fiber nuts!). This year I hit the jackpot and ended up with a fiber I'd never spun - Finn Sheep !!! It was perfect timing, since Spin Off had just written a big article on these sheep and I was curious as to how it would spin.
Its wonderful to spin, quite bouncey and very well behaved. The fiber arrived beautifully prepared, in the yummy colors you see above. It was a typical football sunday at our house, and I began spinning it - great fun.
The sun tricked my camera when I was shooting the fiber on the wheel - the true color is the purple and green -
Now I just need to figure out what to make with it! I considered doing some socks, but my skill level there isn't that well refined - perhaps a lacey scarf will do.



And for all you Mount Rainier lovers, I couldn't resist this picture from a couple days ago. The mountain puts on a never ending show of glory.

3 Comments:

At November 2, 2005 at 4:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Teyani,

Thanks for another AWESOME picture of your beloved Pacific Northwest. Simply lovely. Also love your latest spinning project. That fiber does look yummy. :)

Ana

 
At November 9, 2005 at 11:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful fiber--I can't wait to try Finn wool, myself. And great shot of Rainier. I miss it, now that I've moved north. But once in a while, I go home and see that incredible mountain practically in my parents' backyard.

 
At November 10, 2005 at 7:56 AM, Blogger Miri Mack said...

Gosh, lovely fiber and yarn, Teyani. Gorgeous picture, too.

Thanks for the compliment on the panta. There is a free pattern here: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=51351.0 The pattern version that most people are using is on page 4. I made mine a little smaller than it called for b/c lots of people were complaining about it stretching out.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home