the Intrepid Fiberwizard

adventures in spinning, knitting, gardening and life

Saturday, December 17, 2005

Christmas is coming - the socks are getting knit.



Christmas is arriving at our house! The tree is up and decorated, and presents are arriving by mail each day from our family all across the country. The cards are all mailed, and we sent off our last gift in today's post. Whew!

I even selected a new ornament for myself this year... hope it shows up on this blog: (for those of you who cannot see her, it is a little hen knitting a long stocking!


It was a busy week of knitting and spinning. Like the little hen, I finished one of the socks I was making and blocked it (I hope to have some pictures of it tomorrow), AND am almost to the heel flap on sock number two.
I spun a batch of fiber for a customer - pictured here is Chasing Rainbows Dyeworks Bombyx Silk/Merino (a 50-50 blend) in colorways "More Teals" and "Opal". What you are looking at is about 450 yards of yarn . Can you tell that I'm in love with spinning this yummy stuff?

It has been a blustery week here at Crown Mountain Farms - we awoke the other morning to no power and a temperature of 50 degrees -inside! Burrrrr... My dear husband bundled up and went out to start the generator up. Soon we had hot coffee and a cozy warm house. (A rousing hand of applause and gratitude to the kind soul who invented generators!) Since that day, the highs have been in the low 30's with an average nighttime temperature of about 17 degrees. Yikes. While this is not all hat cold, relative to other parts of this country, it is about 20 degrees colder than our normal winters. The goats and sheep are all huddling in the barn these days!

It's a good time to stay inside and knit !

Last, but not by any means least, Mount Rainier is showing all her glory again recently. I could not resist these photo opportunities last week.



This last photo is the view from our deck looking southwest. The hills you see are some of the "foothills" of Mount Rainier. The mountain is off to the left, out of this picture frame.

In one week, it will be Christmas Eve. I hope that the socks are done by then and dry...( well, let's settle for "done") My oldest daughter is driving down that day to stay with us for a few days, and bringing her 2 kittens. These are the siblings of our two kittens - let your imagination begin to create this scene: 4 all black, six-month-old kittens, ...all adults sound asleep on Christmas Eve,... a solitary Christmas Tree standing alone in the living room - lit, awaiting Santa..... hmmmmm...

5 Comments:

At December 18, 2005 at 3:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like we should all come to your house for Christmas Eve......
Hope it is indeed a very Merry Christmas for you. I love your blog by the way.

 
At December 19, 2005 at 2:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, Teyani!!!

Your gorgeous pictures make me incredibly homesick for Pensacola!! I can't wait to get on the road later this week. The children and I are anxious to help Abue decorate the tree. Thank you for sharing your beautiful photographs. Love, Ana

 
At December 19, 2005 at 6:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your Christmas tree picture looks like something out of a magazine!

 
At December 22, 2005 at 3:41 AM, Blogger Miri Mack said...

Like Cindy said, out of a magazine. It's so pretty. So is the yarn.

I can't wait to see pictures of your socks.

That's the kind of weather we have been having here lately. I was hoping that when I travel to Seattle next week it would be warmer.

Merry Christmas to you and your familiy!

 
At December 26, 2005 at 6:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is my first visit to your blog and it's just wonderful. I love your christmas tree - your home looks lovely and your knitting is beautiful!! Merry Christmas!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home