the Intrepid Fiberwizard

adventures in spinning, knitting, gardening and life

Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Crocus' sproutin' and it's Bloomin Feet !

The rain continues here in soggy-ville, yet yesterday we actually saw about 4 hours of actual sunshine!! After doing the little happy dance through my garden, I noticed the beginnings of the crocus' popping up through the soil... don't ya just love it!

The official start of the Bloomin Feet swap began last sunday.

I began "swatching" a day or two early - which is a good thing since I ended up test-driving about 6 different patterns before settling on Conwy from Knitting on the Road by Nancy Bush (thank you Nancy, for amazingly clear patterns!)


This is such a fun pattern, and I'm loving the way the colors tilt and whirl around the sock in a diagonal direction - it reminds me of the blossoms blowing in the wind we have so often on the hill where we live.
This little beauty is being knit on size 0 needles out of a superwash merino, handyed by Dicentra Designs. The colorway is Kingsfoil.... and I must sheepishly admit that I often need to wear my bifocals while working this pattern (drat) :-) It's begun quickly - and so far moving right along!

On the other knitting fronts life dragged a bit.. remember back around the end of november, when I proudly posted a sweater I knit from my hand dyed pencil roving?? hmmm, errrr, well, it sat and languished incomplete until I found the energy (or was that courage) to rip out all the seams. I just didn't like the way it was falling here and there - and so it sat and sat - moving from one chair to another, until finally today I could stand it no more!
I ripped and pulled gently at first - finally resorting to getting out my scissors. It seems (pun intended) that I had really done an excel-len-ti-mento job of seaming this baby - and hiding all the ends. (drat again) Yet, not to be deterred, I was indeed able to get the little monster (I mean beauty) apart! Ever so carefully, I re-sewed all the seams (I dislike this part the most) and this time used a mattress stitch that laid completely flat ! YAHOO !
I played around with the pattern on this one a bit, and also put the buttons on asymetrically - wha-cha think?

All attempts at digital photography of me actually wearing this sweet completion have been safely deleted from your vision! (as well as from my video-files :-)

11 Comments:

At January 18, 2006 at 9:28 PM, Blogger Knittinreed said...

Love the socks and the sweater. The buttons look great that way!

 
At January 19, 2006 at 3:31 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Wait a minute, are you telling me that not everyone needs bifocals? I love the socks and the yarn. The sweater is fabulous, and I love to know that other knitters feel like they have to wrestle a project into submission once in a while, too!

 
At January 19, 2006 at 4:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

THat is one seriously beautiful sock girl! LOVE LOVE LOVE!

 
At January 19, 2006 at 5:47 AM, Blogger Stacey said...

I love the socks! The sweater came out beautiful too!!

 
At January 19, 2006 at 8:52 AM, Blogger Miri Mack said...

The sock is looking really nice, Teyani. And the patterning is so intricate.

I am glad that you are happy with your sweater. Finishing is the bane of my existence.

 
At January 20, 2006 at 2:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The sweater is gorgeous! Awesome colors too.

Love your sock-in-progress as well. The colors are simply fabulous.

 
At January 20, 2006 at 2:26 PM, Blogger Bristolcare said...

great sweater.
I am ever so new at spinning and as yet don't knit..
I spun some mohair and then some wool. I am in the process of plying them together.
I want to try and knit my self a vest or something..I have been looking at the free paterns online trying to find on that tells you what you need in yards rather no. of balls..
So much to learn.!!

 
At January 21, 2006 at 9:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The colors of your BF socks are beautiful!!!

 
At January 22, 2006 at 7:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good for you for taking your scissors to your sweater and getting the job done!
Size 0- whew. It's making me squint just thinking about it! Great colorway!

 
At January 24, 2006 at 1:41 AM, Blogger zippiknits...sometimes said...

You've got some beautiful knitting on this blog. I am soooo glad I stayed up late to have a chance to go blog hopping through the KR knitters.

 
At January 30, 2006 at 7:29 AM, Blogger Helaine said...

Hi

I love the colors in your sweater. I think even though it gave you fits taking it apart again it will be come a favorite to wear.

Helaine aka herbandteas

http://misshelaineous.blogspot.com/

 

Post a Comment

<< Home