the Intrepid Fiberwizard

adventures in spinning, knitting, gardening and life

Saturday, January 14, 2006

Dream Sweater continues !

Digital cameras.. I'm still in my learning curve. Just got one, and have been playing with it. The photos are so different than my trusty old Nikon 35mm - but I'm learning! Good fun.

So - here's the continuation of my dream sweater.... The shopping was done, the gifts were wrapped, the hand knitted gifts were complete.. now it was my turn ! I spent the week after Christmas spinning up all of the 28 ounces I ordered of the Peacock Plume. For those of you who have just tuned in to this blog, it is a delicious 50/50 blend of bombyx silk and merino hand dyed by Chasing Rainbows Dyeworks.
Next I plyed it all together, and have been patiently washing and drying each finished skein.
Finally... two skeins were dry and I began knitting!!. I chose Cinixia from Knitty.com. I've knit about 8 inches of the sweater, and am going to begin a sleeve.

This is a fun pattern thus far, seamless (yeah!) and the sleeves are knit in rather than sewn in at the end. When I read ahead in the pattern my head begins to spin, so needless-to-say, I slowed myself down, and am looking at only one part at a time. I remind myself that its much more fun to knit this way, rather than peeking ahead :-)
The sweater is knit in a twisted stockingette stitch - it produces a square slanted stitch, that is going to have a bias twist and give a unique drape to the front of the sweater. Here's the close up of what I began with - pretty eh?!
So far so good - can't wait for more yarn to dry!!

Speaking of dry, its still raining here (with a few short sun breaks, thankfully) - only 6 more days until a 53 year old record is broken for the number of continuous days of rain. We are fortunate to be high and dry on a rocky hill. Goats and sheep are jumping all around - loving their "mountain"

Thanks to all who have asked about my youngest daughter - she is rapidly improving and hopes to get back to school for half days beginning monday.

I'm off to knit now - Bloomin' Feet is calling my name. I have chosen the yarn- (my secret pal gave me great colors to choose from) Isn't this colorway a beauty?!
Now begins the fun - the delightful process of selecting the purr-fect pattern... I truly enjoy this part of the process, especially when we have been given the favorite flowers of our Secret pal. I'm trying to incorporate this into my choice. I began with Schurch's new book, Sensational knitted socks - ah so clever.. I picked out a pattern (a toe up sock, which of course I have never done), and thought to myself, I can do this TOP DOWN, it looks so simple! Hah! foiled again ! The pattern didn't work this way.. got a blob instead of a cool design. Back to the drawing board!
I've ripped out about 6 choices thus far, yet, intrepid fiberwizard that I am, I keep knitting.. The current pattern on the needles has great potential! More to come soon.

7 Comments:

At January 14, 2006 at 2:18 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

What beautiful yarn, Teyani! I just love those watery colors...

 
At January 14, 2006 at 8:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful yarn. Every single yarn I have seen in the Bloomin' Feet swap has been glorious! We will have quite a sock gallery when we are done.

The sweater looks like it will be fabulous as well!

 
At January 15, 2006 at 6:57 AM, Blogger Stacey said...

Beautiful colors (the sweater and the sock yarn!) I'm with Amanda on the toe/cuff start debate. I seem to do more cuff down, but whatever suits my mood. Can't wait to see the pattern you pick!

 
At January 15, 2006 at 9:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those yarn colors are just breathaking!!!!

 
At January 15, 2006 at 2:41 PM, Blogger Miri Mack said...

Your yarn turned out so beautiful!

 
At January 16, 2006 at 12:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very nice color! The colors I have seen everyone pick so far are very springy- very appropriate!

 
At January 18, 2006 at 5:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the Bloomin' Yarn! It's looks like an Impressionist painting. And I don't have to tell you that your Cixnia is going to be delicious!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home