the Intrepid Fiberwizard

adventures in spinning, knitting, gardening and life

Friday, March 17, 2006

Bloomin' Feet Fini


At last! Don't you just love completion!! I just finished my socks for the Bloomin' Feet Swap. For those of you who are just dropping by this blog for the first time, Amanda and Becky are the hosts of this wonderful sock exchange. It's the first I have joined, and certainly will not be the last.
These socks were a delight to knit.
I used the pattern Conwy from Nancy Bush's book Knitting on the Road.
Size 0 needles
Yarn: Dicentra Designs - colorway Kingsfoil
(note to fans of this yarn.. we have it on sale til the end of the month)
The challenge for this swap was to use a floral theme that matched your partner's favorite flower. Can anyone guess what flower this design reminded me of?
Nope - no clues yet.. my sock pal might suspect who she is - and the grand swap day isn't until March 31st. So many beautiful socks have been created. I can't wait to see which one's going to arrive at MY door :-)

I had a few challenges with this choice of pattern and yarn - first of all increased the number of stitches on the sock foot by 12 (I had found that only 60 stitches was a bit tight for me and my sock buddy has about the same size foot as I do) The second challenge was to attempt to match the way the yarn danced around the sock.. well.. I got close.. let's say they are kissin' cousins and hope that my sock pal doesn't mind that the match is not exact. The final (and ultimate) challenge is.... (holding my breath)... will they fit! Tune back in of 3/31 and find out!

And now, all you fellow knitters, here's a marvelous knitting tip (courtesy of Karen Alfke.. bless you Karen)... in photo number one.. zoom in, see that little pink post-it? Yup.. that's my "old" form of tracking which row I'm on in a pattern. How many of us have (gasp) lost that tiny post-it, only to run frantically around the house.. where is it? have you seen it?
Well, as the intrepid knitter says.. fret no more. Zoom in on the next photo. See that little bit of knotted string? hmmm... all you sherlocks.. take a guess... YES ! There are little knots tied in it, matching the number of pattern design rows. All one needs to do is carry this yarn at the beginning of the row, and move down a knotted section when beginning a new row. Viola! Simple, smart, easy.. my kind of idea :-)
Oh yes.. and the new socks pictured on the needles? They are for my husband - some gorgeous Lorna's Laces yarn, and a pattern of Basketweave socks from Sensational Knitted Socks.

10 Comments:

At March 17, 2006 at 11:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pretty! I love the swirly colors! I have added another sock yarn to my List.

 
At March 17, 2006 at 12:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those socks are fabulous!! You did a great job on them.

 
At March 17, 2006 at 2:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the BF socks! I haven't seen a pair I don't like!

I can't wait to see where they all end up.

Come on 3/31!

On second thought, maybe I better finish my socks! This weekend, I'm sure!

 
At March 17, 2006 at 4:16 PM, Blogger Chris said...

Oh, those Conwy's are GORGEOUS!!

Hmm, I have a question about that yarn in the Eomund colorway - is that black in Eomund? I can't quite tell from teh screen....

I must be the only person who gets confused using the knotted yarn method. Give me a kacha-kacha anyday!

 
At March 18, 2006 at 6:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your socks are soooooooooo amazing! I've been contemplating that pattern for a while now. I love the colorway you used too. Just beautiful work girl.

And the knotted string thing, I'm a real dunce because i can't get past the stickie disease. I'm still using that method. Maybe one day!

 
At March 18, 2006 at 9:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The socks are amazing!!! LOVE the color and the pattern is beautifuL!!

 
At March 18, 2006 at 12:03 PM, Blogger Katie said...

BEAUTIFUL SOCKS!!!! The swirlyness is gorgeous--great job!!

 
At March 19, 2006 at 6:11 AM, Blogger Karen said...

The BF socks came out beautiful! Your pal is going to love them! I can't wait to see where they all end up. The knotted string is a good idea. I am going to have to give that as try. I am always losing my sticky notes when they aren't so sticky anymore.

 
At March 21, 2006 at 7:27 PM, Blogger Miri Mack said...

Your socks are lovely, Teyani!!!!

 
At March 26, 2006 at 4:51 AM, Blogger CelticCastOn said...

Love those socks the colourway turned out fabulous!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home