the Intrepid Fiberwizard

adventures in spinning, knitting, gardening and life

Monday, March 20, 2006

I just don't get it

I have often said to my husband that it takes one heck of a lot to have me discuss politics.. but every now and then it happens.
So.. I have an opinion, and I'm gonna share it.
that's all this is - one soul's view.
Please feel free to skip this blog entry if it upsets you. No pictures this time, only words.

Yesterday on our NBC newscast at 6pm, the reporter stated that in the last three years, we have spent over $200 billion dollars on the "war" in Iraq. Over 30,000 Iraq citizens have been killed, and that over 2300 U.S. citizens have been killed. Numbers of fatalities from other nationalities were not given in this report. I cannot verify the accuracy of this report - I can only relay it on to you.

$200 BILLION dollars.... does anyone know how many zeros that would be behind that little number two?... all right, I looked it up here's how it would look:

$200,000,000,000.00

Can anyone conceive that much money all put in one place?

Here's the part I just don't understand: We supposedly began the 'war' there on the threat of "wmd" that .. hmmm, were never found... and we have continued the 'war' there based on 'assisting that country to implement a democratic voting system', and other trappings of a democratic society that... hmm...we cannot even achieve in our own country.
let's see here... this is from a government that also runs FEMA.. a useless acronym that translates to an agency who doesn't show up on time, doesn't help its people and continues to this day to allow citizens of this country to "live" as homeless people... yes folks, it has been 7 months since the major devastation of Hurricane Katrina and the vast majority of those hit hardest are still without shelter (unless they have solved it themselves) - AND the democracy in which we live (that we are touting to all the other countries of the world) is taking away what little support these homeless people have - they are withdrawing payments for their temporary housing.
Now let's see if I follow the logic here (and I use the term loosely).
$200 billion spent in Iraq = 0 at home
This is not a situation I am proud to be a part of.
Does anyone out there care to hazard a guess as to how many people $200 billion would feed and house?
I am for peace.
not peace at any costs, just peace.
Peace to all who read this missive.
Please knit in peace.

7 Comments:

At March 20, 2006 at 7:24 PM, Blogger Chris said...

Here, here. Look at the amount spent in Iraq so far, look at the deficit... and then consider that we had a surplus when this person took office. True, there were some big changes (dot com bust, chilling effect of 9/11), but so much of that massive deficit is the "war on terror," started to give focus to an administration that didn't have one, to distract from a lack of a domestic policy... And don't even get me started about not adhering to the Geneva Convention. That's just vile.

Whew. I should go to sleep now.

 
At March 21, 2006 at 7:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm right there with you girl. I think they should have spent the 200 billion IN the USA or at least half of that. Just half would have made the Katrina disaster a thing of the past already. I'm not very political either but I sure wish we could fire about half of those idiots who's idea it is to continue this war.

 
At March 21, 2006 at 7:56 AM, Blogger Pixiepurls said...

I can't wait for the next elections! I vote! Last time was my first time voting, I'm sad it didn't make a difference :(

 
At March 21, 2006 at 8:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do we even want to discuss the "detainees" at Guantanamo Bay, who aren't even treated as well as POWs because they don't belong to any country's army, yet we are able to wage a "war on terrorism" against no one country's army?

I remember during the re-inauguration gala, a reporter asked a White House rep if it was really appropriate to spend all that money on pomp and circ. given the other pressing needs of the time (the tsunami, I believe). The rep said that it was justified because, and I paraphrase: "Americans are so proud of their government and other countries are jealous of our fabulous democracy and wish they could be just like us." Is that why traveling Americans say they are Canadian?

Thanks for the post but don't get me started.

 
At March 21, 2006 at 9:48 AM, Blogger Kim said...

if you gave each person $20,000, you could give that much money to 10,000,000 (10 million!!!!!) people.

-1 billion seconds ago it was 1959
-1 billion minutes ago Jesus walked the earth
-1 billion dollars ago was less than 12 hours...

 
At March 21, 2006 at 11:38 AM, Blogger Karen said...

I agree. It's horrible they can come up with that kind of money to fight this senseless war and yet our own people with needs go without. It's sickening.

 
At March 21, 2006 at 7:26 PM, Blogger Miri Mack said...

After the last election I lost faith in our country, actually in the people in our country. I can't relate to anyone who voted for Bush and his camp. It's absolutely mindboggling to me. Who would mindfully bring this destruction down on our own nation and that of another.

It makes me heart broken to think about what's going on. There will always be scoundrels in politics. I am just sad that people are always taken in by them.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home