the Intrepid Fiberwizard

adventures in spinning, knitting, gardening and life

Sunday, March 12, 2006

Sunday thoughts



There really is not much that I enjoy more than handspun bombyx-merino yarn gliding in all its jewel-toned splendor through my fingers.
A fresh cup of Torrefazione coffee sits on the table beside my knitting chair. The dye pots are cooking along, filled with a batch of corriedale pencil roving. The sun pours itself through the windows -warming my back.. and it is difficult to remember the snow of just yesterday morning.

The pattern I am using (Cinixia) is simple enough as I begin the cuff of the first sleeve. Cast on 63 - find size 7 needles. My mind can wander. I watch the colors - purple, green, deep blue - move around the needles and I dream of dahlias. Deep, luscious dahlias - dancing with the wind in my garden on top of our hill. A new package of bulbs that I bought last week lays on the porch, waiting patiently to be planted.
Even our ever-wild black kittens are sleeping. Sprawled and stretched as long as they can make themselves in the sunshine that pools on the rug by my feet.

Shall I go out and weed? Slip 1, purl 3, Slip 1.
My mind wanders yet again.. Plant the new dahlias while I dream of summer color? Mulch the new garden beds I dug last year? Is it time to plant the strawberries? Slip 1 Knit 3, yarn in front, Slip 1.
to uncover the raised beds from their winter slumber?Was it really only 20 degrees outside this morning when I awoke? Purl 3, slip 1, purl 3.
It was a hectic work week - filled with clients who work hard on their health - paperwork to mail to insurance companies so I am paid. Knit 3, yarn in front, slip 1, Knit 3. Taxes to be filed. Continuing Ed classes attended to maintain my current credentials. Purl 1, slip 1, Purl 3.
The mind chatter finally slows as I sit knitting after such a week. Knit 1, yarn in front, slip 1 , knit 3. New creations for our website sparkle around the edges of my thoughts as I continue my knitting - Purl 3, slip 1, purl 3.

I set aside my knitting - pour another cup of rich coffee, and poke my head outside. It's noon now and the sun is full and bright. Ah..... I sigh. It's still cold. (my heart does a small happy dance)

I sit. Watch the sun fade for a moment when a cloud passes. A sip of coffee. Needles again in my hands. yummmm, I purr like my cats.
Where was I? oh yes - Knit 3, yarn in front, slip 1, knit 3. The sun appears from behind the cloud. silk shines and glitters through the rich merino wool. Purl 3, slip 1, purl 3.

The swallows have returned to build their nests once more in the eaves of our home on the hill. Spring is close.

10 Comments:

At March 12, 2006 at 1:59 PM, Blogger Miri Mack said...

Lovely! I was with you there. How serene.

 
At March 13, 2006 at 4:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I LOVED this post. So many thoughts to explore with you. I'm also coveting a skein of that sockyarn on your web store. I don't know if I will be able to resist!

 
At March 13, 2006 at 5:07 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Oh, what a beautiful piece of writing. Thank you, thank you.

 
At March 13, 2006 at 6:25 AM, Blogger Karen said...

Teyani that was such an awesome post!

 
At March 13, 2006 at 7:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a beautiful post! I could feel my own hectic thoughts slow as you brought me into your serenity!

Lovely! And with yarn to boot!

 
At March 13, 2006 at 5:42 PM, Blogger Katie said...

Beauitful post. And yarn. =)

 
At March 13, 2006 at 5:44 PM, Blogger Susan said...

Thanks for stopping by and visiting. Beautiful pics of the property. I used to have nubians when I lived in the country. My neighbor had angora's and cashmere goats.

 
At March 13, 2006 at 5:56 PM, Blogger Chris said...

Ahhh... thank you.

 
At March 13, 2006 at 11:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You rock, T!

Lissa

 
At January 16, 2007 at 6:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know how you do it, Teyani, but I feel blessed for being a Knitter every time I visit your blog.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home