the Intrepid Fiberwizard

adventures in spinning, knitting, gardening and life

Saturday, April 1, 2006

Sock fever


You know, I was warned about the addictive qualities of knitting socks - small quantites of yarn, endless patterns, colors that tempt the most stalwart of souls... you might say I was a non-believer.
And then I began (just one) last thanksgiving day.. in the attempt to have a display for our booth of the fabulous Dicentra Designs yarn. I was enchanted.
The yarn beckoned - I answered.
The siren call of socks had captured yet another intrepid knitter !
Amanda and Becky further encouraged this addiction by including me in the Bloomin' Feet sock swap..... and that was all she wrote folks! Not to worry though - the 'I've got to buy more yarn' contest is done, and the fever remains stable now. (translate that only 3 pairs of socks currently on my needles!)

The photo above which I present for your viewing delight is the fourth completed pair of socks... this time for my wonderful sweetie, K. (modeling one of his cozy toed socks) He selected this Lorna's Laces sock yarn while we were at the Madrona Fiber Arts Fair. As I wandered out into the garden this morning to see spring's newest offerings, I noticed these tiny primroses. I wonder if she was inspired by these colors ?

Our spring is arriving slowly this year - and while we await the flowers, we have been treated to a new neighbor. Perched in a tree, in the middle of this photo is an adult bald eagle. This tree is so close to our house that I could almost toss a stone and hit it. It appears that our wonderful friend has also brought his siblings. Aren't we fortunate to live amid such beauty.

6 Comments:

At April 1, 2006 at 9:53 AM, Blogger Chris said...

Oh, you are lucky that K likes bright socks! Most of my friends who knit for their guys are stuck knitting mostly solids, in olive, navy, grey, black...

 
At April 1, 2006 at 11:50 AM, Blogger Karen said...

Awesome socks! They certainly are addicting. My plan is to have a whole drawer full of hand knit socks so that I don't have to wear store bought ones ever again.
Great pictures today!

 
At April 1, 2006 at 1:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just beautiful! And quite impressive for your fourth pair. Love those colors, but I'm pleasantly surprised that K does.

Very cool, dude!

 
At April 1, 2006 at 8:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the brights! And I love it when Manly Men are OK with brightly colored socks. Socks are meant to be fun.

 
At April 2, 2006 at 6:59 AM, Blogger Miri Mack said...

Fabulous that he loves funky colorways. It makes it so much more fun to knit. Well, socks are fun anyway.

Big birds are fascinating. You're lucky to have one as a neighbor. Do you think they are just feeding around your house or is there an eyrie near by? It seems to me that the bald eagle has really made a come back in the PNW. The last few times I have visited Seattle I have seen them flying overhead on the freeway North and South of downtown.

It's been warm in Ithaca the last week and I saw two or three trees about to bloom the other day. Still we are mostly winter bound and snow is in the forecast for next week. By the time you get here, though, it will be lovely. Down by the lake with a nice breeze should be dreamy.

 
At April 4, 2006 at 12:26 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

Don't hit the eagle....lol!
The sock looks awesome!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home