the Intrepid Fiberwizard

adventures in spinning, knitting, gardening and life

Wednesday, June 7, 2006

What a Weekend!


We have returned, and are reorganizing from a fabulous long weekend at the Northwest Regional Spinners Conference. These folks are what one might call "serious" spinners! We arrived each day at 8:30am and normally left around 10 :30 pm - believe it or not, there were people who got there before us and stayed longer than we did.
We had the good fortune to see many "old" (and that's a relative term) friends, and to make many new ones. I saw so many of my blogging friends it was amazing! How totally cool to put faces to all the blog names (grins)
(Warning to all , this is a photo-heavy post - but then again, how can one not show pictures of a fabulous fiber-fest?)

The nicest part of this fiber fair is that it is laid back, easy-going, lots of fun kind of fair. We were able to take our time setting up, (and pause to visit while working of course). Knitting tips and tricks were shared with joy, many lessons occurred throughout the weekend, as people took a spin on the turkish drop spindles. everyone was smiling. life is good.

Remember the wonderful cabled hat I made for the fiber exchange? Well, the recipient loved it, and yes, she wears hats. (phew!)
I received back the most amazing knit gift.... my fiber-exchange pal was Alana (pictured here hugging our yarn)- I had donated 8 ounces of black Alpaca roving to the exchange.... lookey what I got - a gorgeous mobius with a bit of flash..!!!!!
Aren't I just the most fortunate wizard ever? !!! Thank you again, dear Alana - what a lovely gift.

I took a great little class on toe-up Turkish Socks... (and what, might you ask is that?) Well, turkish socks are the kind that lay flat when you fold them (no, not on your feet silly). The foot looks rather like a boat (a vee on both ends) and they fit incredibly well. (despite the fact that my toes and heels aren't pointy.) I did it - I made a toe-up sock! Here's the the proof of the beginning:
The class was very laid back (har har) here is a photo of a couple other classmates. I think that no matter how long I knit and spin, I will take classes - there is always more to know.
We all had fun, and actually mastered a rather complex cast-on. (it makes regular cast-ons seem like child's play) The heel is done after the fact, and thus can be easily replaced if it wears out. I'm truly amazed by this little sock.(and I hope to have more photos soon)

Meanwhile, dear K was running our fiber booth. He did a fabulous job. I am always grateful that I have a partner that knows how to "speak fiber". I get to play, and he works... how sweet is that!


Many wonderful customers from previous years stopped by to say a quick hi and a few brought their own 'show 'n tell'. This pretty shawl was the first spinning that Pat S. (from Kent) ever did. She made it from some of our pencil roving. Isn't it grand ? ! Many congrats and sounds of loud clapping going on here.

We are weary, but content. We sold out of lots of stuff, and are now dyeing fiber like crazy to prepare for BSG in two weeks.

Spinning continues on the sock hop yarn... and for all you patient wonderful folks who are waiting...... it's coming, we promise! If you are a spinner and would like to make your own, we now are offering the hand dyed fiber in the Sock Hop colorways. Go ahead, try it, you know you'd love it :-)

Meanwhile, back at the farm.......................... the grass is about hip-high now. there are "raised beds" hiding in this photo - so it is rumored.... I suspect that I might have to beg some tomatoes from my dear friend Lisa this year ( yah think?!)

8 Comments:

At June 8, 2006 at 12:24 PM, Blogger sheep#100 said...

Wow what a great weekend that was. Turkish socks, eh? I may have to try them sometime.

 
At June 8, 2006 at 12:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah! She's back!

So wish I could have been there. It looks like it was wonderful fun!

The mobius is totally awesome! Like totally!!

 
At June 9, 2006 at 5:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love to hug yarn! I am so glad that I am not the only one. The whole show looks like it was loads of fun.

 
At June 9, 2006 at 6:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll bring tomatoes to Oregon Flock and Fiber for you. Maybe some other veggies too.

Nice to hear you had such a great weekend!

 
At June 9, 2006 at 6:54 PM, Blogger Chris said...

Oh, it sounds like it was a lot of fun! Thanks for sharing!!

 
At June 9, 2006 at 8:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Teyani...
got the rest of my yarn, they are a good match for what I got at conference..thanks so much for being so speedy...am gonna check with the stores around for the pattern, but also found it online..you had the right #..thanks again for your help with your fab buttons and my great sweater to be...take care Elizabeth

 
At June 10, 2006 at 7:19 AM, Blogger quantumtea said...

You might want to try this toe up pattern someime, sherman socks:
http://www.knitlist.com/2002/ToeUpSock.htm

I use that pattern and a magic loop for all my socks and it turns out great!

 
At June 12, 2006 at 7:11 AM, Blogger Karen said...

Hi Teyani!

The show sounded great. I'm glad you guys had a good turnout! Your mobius is really pretty. I bet it will get a lot of use come this winter!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home