the Intrepid Fiberwizard

adventures in spinning, knitting, gardening and life

Saturday, July 22, 2006

Vacation Memories

Vacation with my family comes once a year if all goes well. For the past few, we have been able to return to my family's cottage on Keuka Lake. It is difficult to precisely describe the thrill in my heart when we board the plane to "The Lake" (as we have called it since we were children). It is rather like Christmas arriving in July. I took almost 300 photos over the week we were gone -
here are a few of them, so that you may enjoy the beauty of Upstate New York.

I grew up here. The old cottage is "home". In the world of rapid changes, multiple rellocations around the U.S., divorces and new marriages, serious illnesses, uncertainty over jobs and the world in general, this place has remained our constant. Although my daughters and I have lived on the other side of the country, they too feel the pull of 'belonging' here.

The ancient willow still stands, gnarly and tall by the kitchen door, and still holds the hammock.


The dock goes into the water in June and is taken out in September after the Labor Day Fireworks. We awoke each morning to amazing views such as this. Although it was indeed hot (about 101) there was lots of splashing in the lake.


my feet have walked this same path of stones to the kitchen door since I was a small child- my toes know every indentation in the old shale stones.




there have been campfires and roasting marshmellows every year.





the sumac trees along our small glen bring memories from childhood of brewing "sumac tea" to feed the fairies in our glen.

A small stash of treasures collects on the table through the week -




My daughters and I went often to "The Lake" when they were small, and now we return with Kaus as well. This year, almost my entire extended family was there... I'll share a few photos of them here. We're a diverse bunch, yet we share a similar sense of humor. We would often stay up late at night playing the new card game Kate taught us, 'Mao'. (This is a goofy card game that her friends are all playing at school.)
Mealtimes found us seating 10-12 people around the 100 year old table my Great Uncle hand made.

My Mom in the garden:


Oldest brother Peter:









Baby brother Phil and his wife Jacquelyn on their sailboat (thanks for all the great sailing trips :-)





My Dad and Phil's dogs had daily 'exercise' with their swim toys


My oldest daughter,Erin - (and of course she's painting.. this time on some of the broad shale stones)


My youngest daughter, Kate- who loves to swim (just like her Mom)







And YES, there was indeed knitting!!! My Mom (who taught me to knit as a child) is working on a sock (are you surprised??) This one is being knit up with Sock Hop Yarn, color "American Pie".
stay tuned all you knitting friends.. Sock Hop Yarn will be available very very soon :-)




Klaus stayed in touch with our spinning and knitting friends - here I 'caught him' checking his emails.


Even my cousin, Alison, came down from Rochester for a visit. Don't we look like sisters?? Please excuse the blurry photo - we were working in the kitchen, and melting a bit in the heat. I wanted to proudly show off this photo of her. Alison is one of the people I admire for her courage and determination; for you see, she has lost 105 pounds in one year. You rock girl! She only has a tiny bit more to 'reach her goal weight' - go for it!

Most days, Klaus could be found here:


Towards the end of our trip, I drove Klaus, Erin and Kate over to one of my favorite places, Watkins Glen. This natural formation has been carved out of the hillside over the past 12,000 years of erosion. Upstate New York is predominately shale and sandstone. The rock formations are works of art.

I begin with a photo of me grinning beside my two wonderful daughters. Aren't I the lucky one !



My parents are still at the lake - they say it is too quiet there now (grins). And although the rest of us are back in our normal routines, my heart drifts back to the lake.
It was a special vacation this year.


16 Comments:

At July 22, 2006 at 12:06 PM, Blogger Ana said...

I love your pictures! They bring back so many memories! I went to college in Ithaca and my husband and my favorite memories are from Keuka Lake. I still remember sitting at the shore line, picking through the pebbles. And what a coincidence, just a couple of days ago we found Keuka Lake pebbles in one of our boxes while we were unpacking!
Thanks for sharing those images with us. I still miss all the gorges and shale.

 
At July 22, 2006 at 1:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It looks lovely and a great time was had by everyone. You are indeed blessed by your large, close family! Thanks for sharing these beautiful photos. Though I don't come from such a close group, it is what I hope to create with my own kids and future generations! I'm inspired to know it can be done!

 
At July 22, 2006 at 2:19 PM, Blogger Carole Knits said...

What a wonderful vacation! I love that you had 10-12 people eating dinner together every night. I'm sure you have fantastic memories.

 
At July 22, 2006 at 7:31 PM, Blogger Fiberjoy said...

How could you leave that place!!! I enjoyed clicking on the pictures and studying the large version of each and seeing the details.

So much beauty, and wonderful memories! Do your folks still live in the house?

Hope you're staying cool!

 
At July 22, 2006 at 10:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like your pics mom :) I really like the one you got of Squirt in front of the lake! She looks so much older... she grew up pretty damn quick...

I miss it there... I miss sleeping in way late, then taking a nap two hours later... I miss painting the darn rocks! I'm so happy everyone could make it out. Lets swap pics soon!!
XOXO-me

 
At July 23, 2006 at 5:47 AM, Blogger Jenny Raye said...

What a great time you had! And such wonderful memories you share with your family! Treasure them.

 
At July 23, 2006 at 6:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh girl it looks wonderful. Thank you for sharing all the photos.

 
At July 23, 2006 at 6:13 AM, Blogger Karen said...

Oh, it sounds like such a wonderful vacation! The pictures of the lake are really beautiful, especially of the waterfall. How lucky you are to have shared it with all your family this year too. I bet it was hard to leave!

 
At July 23, 2006 at 6:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It looks like you had a great time. Family gatherings are always special. Especially if they involve water!

The waterfalls are spectacular!

 
At July 23, 2006 at 9:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Teyani, thank you for sharing your lovely vacation with us. I can feel the lake breeze, and the tingle of the sun on my face. Ahhhhh.

Lissa

 
At July 24, 2006 at 12:23 AM, Blogger Chris said...

It sounds like a wonderful vacation - made especially so by spending it in a place you know so well, with people you love.

 
At July 24, 2006 at 2:26 AM, Blogger noblinknits said...

That is wonderful.

 
At July 24, 2006 at 3:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awesome.

I don't have my own annual tradition like that, but I've jumped in on my cousins' and have stayed at an old camp (ca. 1905) on a lake in Vermont.

There's nothing like a lake and a hammock and a campfire and knitting.

And your family. :-)

 
At July 24, 2006 at 3:41 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Oh, what wonderful pictures and memories! Thank you for sharing your family with us, and your cottage, and your vacation, and the waterfalls. I feel like I had a little break, too!

 
At July 24, 2006 at 6:59 AM, Blogger Stacey said...

It looks like you had such a wonderful vacation! The pictures are great!!!

 
At July 24, 2006 at 3:05 PM, Blogger Knittinreed said...

Thank you for sharing your fabulous vacation!
I am originally from Monticello (in the Catskills) and your pictures have revived lovly memories! We used to go upstate for camping vacations when I was a child. The lakes are so lovely.
When people hear NY, all they think is NYC. The state is huge and absolutely gorgeous, as your pictures attest to!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home