the Intrepid Fiberwizard

adventures in spinning, knitting, gardening and life

Wednesday, August 16, 2006

I begin again.

Now there have been good days in knitting, and there have been not so good days. My fellow bloggers, you have read the recent tales of both on this "intrepid" blog. Yet even this brave knitter knows when to throw it away and begin anew.
I came, I saw, I conquered, I tossed it.

Yup - Toasty Toes sock in colorway Ivory by Fleece Artist is now pushin' up daisies in the town dump. May it bring beautiful blooms.
Let me set the scene prior to last nights firm decision to dump it (yes it truly is gone, so no gnashing of teeth nor begging from any of you sweet friends out there ): I had been knitting between seeing clients in my office - normally I have about 10 minutes to either return phone calls or sit and knit if nothing else beckons....... I was knitting. in fact, comin' down the finish line on the first sock. Toe decreases had begun; counting of stitches had commenced; it was allllllllmost complete... the excitment was growing..... pride filled the air (was that my first clue?) Finally I got very busy at work and had to set it aside until I got home around 8:00 pm.

With tremendous excitment in the air, I slipped it onto my foot to brag about (I mean model) it for my husband.......... oooohhh and aaaahhh's were appropriately voiced (he's a really good enabler and encourager for this knitter!)
then..... I loooked down...... about 1 inch down from the cuff (yes, I knit that part first) was a hole.... the dreaded hole...the quarter-size gap that seemed to laugh and mock me with it's absurdity.. It did NOT belong there. I did not put it there (yet I needed to reassure myself). sigh. I began to tear back the sock.
it wasn't pretty.
my beautiful "invisible join" rent asunder.
I kept on pulling the yarn for what felt like hours.
the yarn coiled in wrinkles at my feet.
I got back to the durned 'hole' and examined carefully...... and what did I see????? yarn damage in a big way.... grease rubbed into the yarn (I must not have been looking at my fingers for a few rows while I was knitting.) durn it all.
I had missed this flaw - and it jumped out and bit me! (so glad that it happened to me and not my giftee~ how embarassing that would have been!)

So I then proceeded to turn the remaining ball over and over in my hands. Were there more of the pesky little frayed spots in the ball? un huh... yup... multiple ones.
Looks like this lovely yarn must have gotten snared in an electric skein winder, and gotten chewed. poop.
An executive decision was made. Not wanting to risk sock holes in a sock that is to be a gift, I decided that rather than 'repair' all the breaks, I would take the hint and:
begin again.
and so tonight, I did just that :-) Here's a lovely sock start in Lorna's Laces Powder Blue.
P>S> see the nifty little bag? It has made it's appearence in a few earlier photos. My clever Mom handmade this. the little pillow rests on your knee (or the arm of your chair) while you knit, and the bag part holds the ball, extra needles and what have you. It was perfect for knitting while sitting outside on vacation. I just love it! thank you Mom!!! I was trying to convince her to make them and sell them through my blog..... anyone interested?? I might still be able to encourage her to do it... but ssssshhhh, don't tell her I told you! (hee hee, Ilove you Mom)

22 Comments:

At August 16, 2006 at 8:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How come you're not returning the yarn? Fleece Artist isn't exactly cheap-just saying.

About the"nifty little bag" yor mom made- I did notice it a while ago and love it. What is the pillow part stuffed with? Is it kind of like a beanbag to weigh it down? I'd be interested in one.

 
At August 16, 2006 at 10:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree, I think you should get your money back, or a replacement, at the very least. It's a shame, because those socks were so pretty. I do love that Lorna's Laces, though. Can't wait to see what you will be using for a pattern!

 
At August 16, 2006 at 10:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd be interested in the bag--tell your Mom you need some for Flock & Fiber! (I'd buy 2 or 3...)

 
At August 17, 2006 at 12:45 AM, Blogger KarenK said...

Yes, I'd be interested in two or three of those bags, they'd make terrific gifts for my knitting friends and relatives. Too bad about the Fleece Artist, I agree with the other comments, that you should see about getting a refund or replacement. The Lorna's Laces socks look like they are going to be so nice, though!

 
At August 17, 2006 at 1:57 AM, Blogger Julie said...

So sad about the sock but the new one is a beautiful color as well. LL is one of my favorite sock yarns to date.I'm definitely beginning to feel very behind in my TT sock knitting. Soon as I finish up all this birthday crafting (hopefully today) I'll get my TT yarn wound on and start knitting.

 
At August 17, 2006 at 3:54 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

And after all that intervention, the sock didn't make it? Oh, how sad. Love the little bag, too.

 
At August 17, 2006 at 4:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about your sock! I really like the color of the new one you started.

That's really cute bag. I'd be intrested in one too!

 
At August 17, 2006 at 5:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh no! how sad : (
I cant believe that happened with fleece artist, I would definitely contact them.

your new one looks great though!

 
At August 17, 2006 at 7:16 AM, Blogger --Deb said...

Oh, that is so frustrating! But it sounds like you're handling it well. I agree with the others, though--you should contact Fleece Artist. That shouldn't happen, especially with a premium yarn.

 
At August 17, 2006 at 7:17 AM, Blogger sheep#100 said...

I'd've sent the Fleece Artist back.

I don't get the pillow concept, though.

The LL is lovely.

 
At August 17, 2006 at 7:22 AM, Blogger Stacey said...

Too bad about the FA, but good riddance! You've had enough issues with it that it wasn't worth chancing and doing over.

That robin's egg blue LL's is so pretty....

 
At August 17, 2006 at 7:47 AM, Blogger Carole Knits said...

That's so frustrating! I'm sorry you had to frog the whole sock.
Love the new color.

 
At August 17, 2006 at 7:49 AM, Blogger Karen said...

I'm sorry about all that work down the tubes. I ditto what everyone else said about reurning it too.

I really like the LL colorway you are using now. That's the one I originally voted for too. It's yummy.

 
At August 17, 2006 at 8:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How dreadful about the FA yarn... I totally would have returned it too. Quick recovery on your part though. I'm not so sure I would have taken on another pair in the brinks of such disaster.
Oh and that bag is great. I would totally be up for buy 1 or 2.

 
At August 17, 2006 at 8:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sad to hear but I think you did the right thing: trash it. It's much easier mentally to make a clean break and move on. Here's to your next pair!

 
At August 17, 2006 at 10:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

(In my quietest whisper voice so mom doesn't hear) I would love love love to have one of those cute little bags.

(In a much louder voice) I would return that FA yarn in a hot second!

 
At August 18, 2006 at 7:15 AM, Blogger adrienne said...

I would contact Fleece Artist... I had a skein of yarn with 2 knots and some unknown fibre spun in, and they took care of it very quickly.
The LL socks will be lovely! Such a great colour.

 
At August 19, 2006 at 5:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The powder blue is really pretty too! (And hopefully more "stable.")

PS I can ALWAYS use another knitting bag.

 
At August 21, 2006 at 7:46 PM, Blogger vanessa said...

i'd be interested :-) perfect for knitting in the car.

 
At August 22, 2006 at 6:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The yarn (and the bag) are beautiful. Too bad about the earlier yarn, but at least you've let its bad vibes go.

 
At August 22, 2006 at 8:27 AM, Blogger Miri Mack said...

wow, that was tragic! Good thing it didn't happen in sock Numero Dos though.

The new yarn is lovely!

 
At August 22, 2006 at 11:50 AM, Blogger Chris said...

Hopefully you returned the yarn. Bummer, tho...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home