the Intrepid Fiberwizard

adventures in spinning, knitting, gardening and life

Tuesday, August 22, 2006

On the Street where you live...

With kind regards to Lerner and Loewe for the title of this post, I have a small interesting thing to share.
Many of you have seen the photos from last March of the view from our back yard. We live on a rocky hill, surrounded by about 200 acres of pasture where a neighbor grazes his cows. We're approximately 30 minutes (as the crow flies) from Mount Rainier. It is truly beautiful - and very country! Despite the urban sprawl that is creeping our way from nearby Tacoma, we have continued to enjoy our view of the gorgeous "Bald Hills" that are owned by Weyerhauser.

Last weekend, I was sitting outside on our front porch, enjoying the cool evening breeze, and I heard a low growl from under the deck. Thinking it was the raccoon who normally drops by in the evening to swipe some of out outdoor cat's food, I didn't think much of it, and sat awhile longer. Next time, perhaps I'll reconsider; for yesterday our farming neighbor told us that he had seen a brown bear on his property over the weekend. whoa.
Definately country living!
A couple of years ago, another neighbor shot a cougar that was hanging out in a tree by their front door - and now here come the bears (for where there is one, there are more.)
Needless-to-say, I'll be cautious when sitting outside in the evenings now. (silly K said that he wants to see it too! I said, no thanks.)
and to think that my oldest daughter said that there's nothing to do here but watch the grass grow! hah!
And now, in keeping with the bear-theme, may I present:Baby Bobbi Bear (yes, I'm actually squeezing in a bit of knitting amidst the spinning)

A blogging 'friend' is having her first baby ~ and this calls for celebration ! May I present to you... Baby Bobbi Bear.
Made from Blue Sky organic cotton
Pattern and yarn were purchased here.

thank you so much Emily for sharing the source of this wonderful pattern.
It was a delight to create.
and it's the most wonderful cotton I have ever knit with.

P>S> nope, I'm not tellin' who this is going to... it's a suprise! (but a few of you already know for certain that it's not for you.. tee-hee)

10 Comments:

At August 22, 2006 at 12:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice segue!

Hearing the bear would have been more than enough for me too! I wouldn't need to see it unless I could be guaranteed it was from a safe distance!

Cute bear!

 
At August 22, 2006 at 12:35 PM, Blogger Carole Knits said...

The knitted bear is adorable. And at this point in my life, I'm really glad it's not headed my way. ;-)

 
At August 22, 2006 at 12:38 PM, Blogger Chris said...

Keep the door cracked, ready to race inside?!

Really cute bear! I can just imagine how squooshably soft it must be from that yarn.

 
At August 22, 2006 at 12:38 PM, Blogger sheep#100 said...

A bear.
The eat, well, almost anything.
They can get ornery.
I'd be wary, too.

 
At August 22, 2006 at 2:55 PM, Blogger Laura said...

I'd want to be at a safe distance, but I'd definite want to see that bear. :-)

Speaking of bears, I love the one you knit! He's so cute. Very cuddly.

 
At August 23, 2006 at 5:23 AM, Blogger Stacey said...

Our area is like that too - not quite as "country" as you, but it's amazing what wildlife come near your house when you have a decent chunk of woods nearby - we have coyotes and bears as well as turkeys and other wild stuff around! Always makes me think when I put the dogs out late at night....

 
At August 23, 2006 at 2:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ohoh! He turned out so. Cute.

 
At August 23, 2006 at 4:55 PM, Blogger Karen said...

Oh that is cute! And I am VERY HAPPY it's not for me! lol

 
At August 24, 2006 at 11:18 AM, Blogger Miri Mack said...

So cute!!!

Bears - cool. I'm with K :-)

 
At August 25, 2006 at 10:52 PM, Blogger Wendee said...

Gulp! That puts a halt in my grumblings about our feral neighborhood critters right quick!

Great Bobbi Bear! And the Blue Sky cotton is soooo... soft! What a luck recipient!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home