the Intrepid Fiberwizard

adventures in spinning, knitting, gardening and life

Saturday, September 2, 2006

Autumn

It's been such a long dry summer here - and autumn is finally beginning to arrive. I could not be happier! The days are still hot (80-90 degrees) yet the nights get cool (in the 50's). My garden is still blooming, albeit a bit less quickly. I am ready to slow down.

Autumn marks the ending of the year for me. The time when the last of the veggies are picked, and the flowers set their seed for next year's blooms. It is a time to go inward and snuggle down for the winter. I find this so much more appealing than a mid-winter-new-year.

Lately I've been reflecting over the past year and my accomplishments. It has been a very good year. As I ponder it all, I consider what has touched my life. There is far too much to mention in this blog without boring you all to sleep - so I will share just one for now ... my parents.

Following a week where two different blog buddies each lost a parent/parent-in-law, my awareness of love for my own is in the forefront of my mind. Please take a moment and pop over to Amanda and Carole and give them a cyber hug of understanding for their grief and the exhausting hours of to-do's following a death in the family.
Despite living 3500 miles away from me, my parents (and their wisdom) touch my life almost every day. And although they will potentially blush, I'd like to tell you a bit about them....

Dad: Throughout my life my Dad has inspired me. To this day, I often use him as an example with friends and clients of an intrepid spirit. Dad has always believed in himself and his ability - and is one of the few men I know who was brave enough to begin an entire new profession in his mid-fifties. When we were kids, Dad was a self employed family medical doctor. The number of babies he delivered is astounding (and they still all send him Christmas cards!)

Never one to settle for just one accomplishment, he went back to school (in his 50's) and completed a full second medical residency, and obtained yet another medical doctorate, this time as an anesthesiologist... not stopping there, he later went on to teach at Tulane University, then began a company that taught other doctors how to pass the anesthesia certification boards, and then did "locums tenans"(flying all over the country being a doctor in many hospitals) for many years... only to finally 'retire' a couple years ago. Although saying he has retired is a bit of a fib, for he is still teaching (an AARP safe driving course) and volutneering at his church and helping his neighbors. I won't tell you how old either of them is (cause that seems a bit tacky) - but to give you a guess, he worked almost 20 years past when most folks quit. I am delighted to see him finally doing some things for "play". His strength and belief in himself inspired me to go back to college when I was 40 and know I could succeed. Dad always told me that I could do anything. thanks Dad.

Mom: hmmmm - how does one describe one's Mother ~ this is a tough one, yet I will try. She is the absolute personification of kindness. Mom is a "giver" - and like the energizer bunny, she never quits. She loves making gifts for people, and she gets so excited about what's in the package that she'll sweetly write a descriptive gift tag with bold hints as to what's inside :-) and the many ways she pictures you enjoying it. As a child I recall my Mom selling real estate and keeping a beautiful home. I used to think that we had magical fairies who did the laundry and cleaned and cooked (for I never actually witnessed her doing all that work!) We had the most beautiful home in Massachusetts; a glorious garden, and wonderful meals every single night. How she accomplished all of it (keeping up with my three brothers and me) while working, I will never know. She's a genie!

Mom sews, knits, crochets, beads, paints pottery and many other crafts as well. She has written and published multiple children's stories. She volunteers (still) at many charitable places. She knits baby blankets for hospitals, was recently president of her women's church league for more than 10 years, organized and ran their small boutique for gently worn clothing, put on yearly fashion shows, and still maintains a lovely home and garden. Phew. way to go Mom!
When things happen in my life, my Mom is still the one that I want to call and talk to. Her kindness and understanding are worth more than she will ever know. thanks Mom.
In keeping with my parents years of courageous acts, they are now going to be moving. They have built a new home (near Tampa FL ) and are leaving hurricane alley (yay !) While I know that their friends and church will miss them both, they will make new friends in Tampa. They are indeed a valuable example of well-lived-lives.

So... segue now to the other part of this blog.
The knitting/sewing bags that my Mom has made.
Many of you commented on these sweet bags and asked if you could buy one~ so I convinced my Mom to make a few. Here they are! (thanks for whipping them up so fast Mom)
There are six of them for sale right now. Two with stripes, two with batik dots, one black/grey and one rust/golden.
They were originally designed for as a helper for those who sew.
See???

The little bean bag is a pin cushion and the bag holds your scraps while you are sewing. very handy!






Now me, I of course use it for knitting! This sweet little bag will rest on the arm of your chair or on your leg, perfectly holding your yarn while you knit. see... like this(here's a pic of Mom using it at the lake this summer):

I'm selling these for my Mom at $24 each + $6 shipping. This is all there is until after the first of the year (due to their moving). If you'd like one let me know. I will update this post at the bottom and tell you when they are sold. Please also email me (teyani AT crownmountainfarms DOT com) with your address and I will write back with where to send the check etc.
So let's support my sweet Mom and give her a little bit of Christmas spending money eh? (*grin*) thanks Mom - you're the best!

Parents are a gift ~ and interestingly enough seem to get "smarter" as I grow older (now how did that happen! :-) Give a hug to someone that you love and remember that life is too short.
bags:
One - yellow/rust: SOLD
two - polka dots:
two - striped:
one - black & grey batik: SOLD

12 Comments:

At September 2, 2006 at 1:15 PM, Blogger Carole Knits said...

What a wonderful tribute to your parents. Keep them close and treasure their role in your life.
And thanks for sending a little extra love my way, too.

 
At September 3, 2006 at 3:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sweet post. I hope your parents read it!

 
At September 3, 2006 at 6:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a wonderful post about your parents!

 
At September 3, 2006 at 10:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How wonderful your parents are is readily apparent to those of us who love and admire you! This just confirms what wonderful people they are. Good for you that you appreciate them so.

 
At September 3, 2006 at 1:06 PM, Blogger Karen said...

What a really nice post about your parents. Lucky parents... lucky daughter. :)

 
At September 3, 2006 at 5:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are doubly blessed in that you have such wonderful parents and that you know what a treasure that you have in them.

I have to go now and give someone a hug!

Your Yarn Aboard Match

 
At September 4, 2006 at 1:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a wonderful post about your parents.

 
At September 6, 2006 at 7:19 AM, Blogger Stacey said...

what great descriptions of your parents - they sound like such interesting, full of life people! (dare I say spunky!)

they obviously did a great job raising and passing on life lessons to their children! Kudos!

 
At September 6, 2006 at 10:12 AM, Blogger Chris said...

Thanks for sharing the lovely tribute to your parents!

 
At September 6, 2006 at 6:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

And now we know why you are the lovely person that you are - the apple doesn't fall far from the tree!

 
At September 10, 2006 at 6:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful post. They sound like incredible people and such postive role models for you.

 
At September 13, 2006 at 10:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your parents sound wonderful. I love the idea of honoring your parents while they are still alive.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home