the Intrepid Fiberwizard

adventures in spinning, knitting, gardening and life

Sunday, September 17, 2006

High Fiber Diet

There are many doctors who recommend a "high fiber diet" for us all~ especially as we age; but somehow I don't quite think that this is what they had in mind:


Recently it feels as though I have been eating, sleeping and dreaming about fiber- in all its forms! We even spent time cleaning out the garage a couple weeks ago and came across a bunch of shetland fleeces that need processing. Yee gaads!

The result of all this fiber, is that I have decided to hold another contest!! I think it might be fun to have you all take a guess at how much fiber (pencil roving and superwash) that I have dyed in the first 8 months of this year...

The winner will be the one closest to the correct number (and in case of a tie I'll pull the name from a hat).
Here's a few facts to consider when you guess:
1) I work a full time day job that has nothing to do with fiber - the dyeing is done in my "spare" time.
2) each skein (of either type of fiber) is individually dyed in it's own pot (and nope.. I'm not tellin' how many pots I have:-)
3) the pencil roving has to "cook" for about 2 hours, then sits for around 10 hours in the dyepot
4) the superwash roving cooks for about 1 hour, then sits for about 4 hours in the pot.
5) we receive the fiber in humongo batches, then we take it to a friend's mill to be processed down the way we want, then Klaus rolls it all off into the 8 ounces batches for me.. all this is prior to my dyeing... and takes quite alot of time.
6) I also skein off and label each hank myself.
7) a batch of fiber takes anywhere from 2-4 days to completely dry.
8) this summer has been filled with a lot of garden watering since we had absolutely no rain for almost three months - this took about 2 hours from every day.
8) I also do other things like spin and knit.....

So there you have it. I've been told that I have "hard" contests... ho ho ho... wouldn't be too much fun if it was a cakewalk, now would it? So take a guess.. take a wild guess... and the final hint is that I was really surprised when I finally counted how much I had done.
So make a comment and guess...... How many skeins of fiber (including pencil roving and superwash roving) have I dyed in the first 8 months of this year???

The winner will receive a skein of Chasing Rainbows Superwash Sock yarn - your choice of colorway. contest runs from Sept 17th to Sept 24th. so get your entries in :-)

Speaking of spinning ~ I have some fun news to share: Amanda (yes that one!) has joined our team of spinners for the Sock HopYarn. Woot ~Woot! I am so totally pleased. Her spinning skills are fabulous, and she's been a huge help in our business. Hop over and give her a big rah rah! We are working at adding a couple more spinners in order to increase our production - yet it takes a bit of time. Amanda's an incredible person, and was exactly what I was hoping for! (now maybe I can clone her.. tee hee)

I've been spinning up a storm recently... Here's My Boyfriend's Back.

and here's the sock I knit for K this past week. (I keep telling him that maybe he'll get the second sock for Christmas - but then again his birthday is coming up next week... we shall see!)
I am completely pleased with the way this new colorway came out - it's very "tweeedy" looking.
A couple of you have asked me how this is different from Heat Wave...... well, My Boyfriend's Back is a deep rust and burgandy (sometimes looking almost black) and the Heat Wave is a combo of Scarlet red and Black with hints of yellow and plum. I think this is a very masculine looking colorway - and so socks for K were born :-)
By the way - just in case you were wondering, he has a 10 3/4 inch long foot... and I had this much left over from one skein of yarn. Yay!
My daughter's boyfriend (who is 6' 4" and has a size 13 men's shoe) has asked for socks. whoa.




We are busy this week, preparing for the last fair of this season. (Oregon Flock and Fiber Festival) If you are anywhere in the vicinity of Portland, Oregon on Sept 23-24. please stop by and see us. It's actually being held in Canby Oregon, but that's only a hop, skip, and a jump from Portland. It is, by far, my favorite of our fairs. It's held on a country fairgrounds that is full of huge trees and grassy lawns. (no blacktop) There are buildings upon buildings filled with vendors,activities for the wee ones, and fun classes. Come on down!

I'll most likely not have time to post again until we get back. The contest winner will be announced at that time.

I leave you with a couple photos of our evening last thursday. I got home from work around 7 pm, and we had been having some blessed rain here (finally) The rainbow spanned across the hills - a complete arch. It was so enormous that I could only capture a portion.
The clouds turned an incredible color as the sun began to set. My garden (and I) are very grateful for this repreieve from the heat.
Have a lovely week all!

47 Comments:

At September 17, 2006 at 12:23 PM, Blogger Carole Knits said...

I have no idea how many to guess and i won the last contest so I'm not going to enter this one. Have fun at the fair!

 
At September 17, 2006 at 1:03 PM, Blogger Lori said...

Well, I know personally how far a pound of fiber goes (a lot more than I'd expect) but I also know you have skads of it rolling out of the shop, so... In the past 8 months, I'll guess you've dyed 74 pounds of fiber.
Sounds like an awful lot; I'm guessing you don't sleep in much on weekends :)

 
At September 17, 2006 at 1:10 PM, Blogger Julie said...

Woo fun contest though I that's entirely too much thinking for me so I'll just do a blind guess- 508 pounds

 
At September 17, 2006 at 1:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ooo I love that brown yarn, I think in a dk or worsted weight it would be perfect for a tweedy jacket! hint!hint! :P

oh dear, how much have you dyed? no idea! 458lbs?

 
At September 17, 2006 at 1:18 PM, Blogger Wendy Stackhouse said...

I'm not guessing. But what is the colorway of the pencil roving in the top photo?

My Hang on Sloopy is on its way, thanks! I can hardly wait!

 
At September 17, 2006 at 1:30 PM, Blogger Chris said...

I love the rainbow picture!! I haven't seen one this year, alas. I'm guessing 417 skeins.

 
At September 17, 2006 at 2:00 PM, Blogger sheep#100 said...

I'll chime in with 720 skeins - and they have looked lovely all year long.

 
At September 17, 2006 at 2:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm going to take a wild guess and say 1241 skeins!

And woo-hoo on Amanda joining your team. She was the inspiration for me taking up spinning! I don't know whether to love her or hate her for that, but she is a fabulous spinner!!

 
At September 17, 2006 at 2:08 PM, Blogger Thorny said...

I'm going to guess 214 skeins. And I love your pictures! The "fiber dining" one is awesome, and the rainbow one is just beautiful. Good luck in Oregon!

 
At September 17, 2006 at 3:33 PM, Blogger Fibreaddict said...

I am going to say 2000 skeins in the last 8 months (considering of course how much I've purchased *snort!!)

Yay for Amanda!! that is awesome.

 
At September 17, 2006 at 3:44 PM, Blogger --Deb said...

I'll guess . . . 521.

And, hey, high-fiber is high-fiber, right? And good for Amanda!

 
At September 17, 2006 at 4:35 PM, Blogger Knittinreed said...

Oh My - how about 697 skeins.

In reading all that you do - how do make the time for any of this?!

I hope you and K have a great time at the fair - and maybe he will get his second sock sometime so both tootsies are warm and snuggly.

PS - as soon as I finish my DHs clogs, I will begin another pair on your fabulous pencil roving! For me!

 
At September 17, 2006 at 4:51 PM, Blogger String said...

203 pounds. even numbers are no fun.

 
At September 17, 2006 at 4:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know how long it takes me, but I also know what can be done when you're under a deadline! I'm figuring you've done somewhere around 3190 skeins in the past 8 months.

Given the beauty of your work...it's not ever enough, is it? {ggg}

 
At September 17, 2006 at 6:24 PM, Blogger Ramona said...

I never win contests but my guess is 216 skeins. Love the rainbow pics.

 
At September 17, 2006 at 8:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm guessing 200 skeins. I have some sitting in my fiber basket -- it's so gorgeous!

 
At September 17, 2006 at 9:08 PM, Blogger Fiberjoy said...

My wool-brained guess is 768 skeins.

See you at OFFF!

 
At September 18, 2006 at 3:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll guess 450.

 
At September 18, 2006 at 6:00 AM, Blogger Karen said...

Love your new diet. I'd come over to eat any time if thats what was on the menu!

I happen to like cakewalks. I like cake too. :)

My guess is 1152 skeins.

 
At September 18, 2006 at 6:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have no idea- but am willing to guess...hmmm...956 skeins.

 
At September 18, 2006 at 6:48 AM, Blogger Tala said...

Love your blog! Glad I found it!

I'd say 197 pounds dyed!

 
At September 18, 2006 at 7:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

No idea, so SWAG: 198 pounds.

 
At September 18, 2006 at 9:58 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I'm guessing 908 skeins.

 
At September 18, 2006 at 10:07 AM, Blogger ikkinlala said...

I'll guess 226 skeins.

 
At September 18, 2006 at 12:07 PM, Blogger Susanne said...

I am going to say 1097 skeins of roving ! and it is ALL wonderful!!

 
At September 18, 2006 at 1:13 PM, Blogger elizabeth said...

Ohmygosh, I have no idea! I'll take a stab and say 476 skeins. That may be wayyyy too much, we'll see! I'm loving the pencil rovings btw - they're perfect for a newbie spindler! I can't wait to order more...soon!

 
At September 18, 2006 at 3:12 PM, Blogger Peevish said...

Are we talking skeins or weight of fibre? Ummm... I guess 280 pounds of fibre, and 460 skeins!

 
At September 18, 2006 at 8:44 PM, Blogger Gwen said...

I'll guess 113 skeins/rovings dyed this year so far.

 
At September 18, 2006 at 8:51 PM, Blogger Heide said...

425 skeins. I have no idea how many pounds that is, but it sounds like a lot... maybe 200 pounds? No matter how much you've dyed though, it looks like you haven't lost your love of the craft. It's lovely.

 
At September 18, 2006 at 9:02 PM, Blogger ~Kristie said...

I'll take a stab at it .. 320 skeins?

 
At September 18, 2006 at 10:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm going to guess 690 skeins.

 
At September 19, 2006 at 9:52 AM, Blogger Rachel said...

I'm going to guess 328 skeins.

 
At September 19, 2006 at 10:17 AM, Blogger Jackie said...

I actually came here via Amanda and I think that she could use some cloning! She sounds like one busy lady.

My guess is 312 skeins.

I feel like I am on "the Price is Right".

 
At September 19, 2006 at 2:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My shot in the dark says 413 lbs.

 
At September 19, 2006 at 4:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll guess 422. ;d

 
At September 19, 2006 at 9:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I say 615 pounds. :)

 
At September 20, 2006 at 11:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You asked how many "skeins". I'm going to say 323 skeins for the first 8 months.

 
At September 20, 2006 at 2:26 PM, Blogger Laura said...

I love your My Boyfriend's Back yarn. Yum! I want to knit socks for *me* out of it! :-)

 
At September 20, 2006 at 5:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hope you will be bringing some fall colors in the Pencil Roving to Flock & Fiber...I'd love to get some Autumn and maybe Harvest, too...

 
At September 20, 2006 at 6:33 PM, Blogger KarenK said...

Love your yarn, no idea how much you've processed, so will take a wild-eyed guess and say 232 pounds. Good luck! And I'm looking forward to more Sock Hop yarn.

 
At September 21, 2006 at 5:43 AM, Blogger Iris said...

I'm not even trying to guess!

Instead I thought I'd leave you a little note to thank you for the absolutely fantastic Yarn Abroad parcel you sent me! I received it today and I can't tell you how delighted I was with all the beautiful things you sent. I was particularly touched that you even found the time to knit for my little bean - this will be his first knitted toy!!

I honestly love everything you have sent - the yarn is beautiful, the patterns are great (can't wait to try them), the chocolate, whcih is long gone, was delicious, and the fridge magnet and little purse are adorable. What is the little wooden thing, though? And what is the significance of the coins in the purse?

Thank you so much Teyani, your parcel really made my day!

Iris
x

 
At September 21, 2006 at 7:41 PM, Blogger Stacey said...

Hmm - I'm at a loss! I'll guess 388 skeins....

So much beautiful fiber!!!

 
At September 22, 2006 at 2:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

432 skeins? Not that I've bought any of them. :(

 
At September 22, 2006 at 2:58 PM, Blogger Spinningfishwife said...

That`s easy...428 skeins, of course!

;-)

 
At September 22, 2006 at 7:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Teyani...the husband socks are fantastic...I LOVE the colorway! Well, I would guess for your contest, but since I am not a spinner, I have no earthly idea what kinds of quanities to guess...skeins, pounds, who knows? Have a great weekend!

 
At September 23, 2006 at 4:26 PM, Blogger adrienne said...

maybe 501 skeins?
I really don't know.

 
At September 25, 2006 at 4:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmmm....937 skeins!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home