the Intrepid Fiberwizard

adventures in spinning, knitting, gardening and life

Tuesday, September 26, 2006

We've got a winner!

Wow. thanks for the amazingly wonderful response to my High Fiber Diet contest. I had alot of fun with this one. The total number of skeins that I dyed (in pencil roving and superwash merino) is 1079 within the first 8 months of this year. That translates to 539.5 pounds. whoa.

and the winner is........................
Amanda ! Her guess was 535 pounds. Come on down girl, and claim your prize. You have your choice of any colorway in the Chasing Rainbows Dyeworks superwash sock yarn.

We just got back from a fabulous weekend in Canby Oregon, at the Oregon Flock and Fiber Festival. (I'll post photos soon). It has grown to be the largest fiber fair in the Pacific Northwest. While we were there, I delivered a few huge boxes of superwash (Sock Hop) to our main spinner (Cheryl - god bless you!). She sent me the following photo that I thought you all might enjoy... she titled it "the trouble with tribbles" - seems appropriate eh? ! Now that's some kind of "stash" ~ and no, none of these skeins were dyed in the first 8 months - I did them in September. One more amazing thing to share is that from the end of April to mid September, Cheryl spun 73,080 yards of 2 ply Sock Hop yarn.. that's almost 42 miles. Woot woot!
I'm off now to help unload the RV, and to recouperate from all the fun.
Thanks again for playing in my little contest!

11 Comments:

At September 26, 2006 at 10:39 AM, Blogger Chris said...

Congrats, Amanda!! Wow, that's a lot of fiber. I hear you met Sachi, new to the area. :)

 
At September 26, 2006 at 10:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I totally forgot to enter the contest, but I was going to guess 1000 skeins. I figured I would be way off, but not so! That's a whole lotta wool!

Speaking of a lot of wool, that picture is amazing. How does she find the time to spin it all? I did notice the bottle of wine and the glass beside it...is that her secret? :)

I got my skeins of Sock Hop in Blue Suede Shoes last week, and I'm halfway through the second sock. This stuff is fabulous! Thanks so much for producing such a wonderful sock yarn.

 
At September 26, 2006 at 11:42 AM, Blogger sheep#100 said...

Whoa! Congrats to Amanda, too.

Why is pencil roving a good thing?

 
At September 26, 2006 at 12:12 PM, Blogger Lori said...

HOLY HECK THATS A LOT OF YARN!!! I feel embarrassed my guess was so low, you're a fiber-dyeing goddess!

I bow down to your superior fiber coloring skills. It took me all day Friday to dye three-quarters of a pound of sock yarn!

 
At September 26, 2006 at 1:01 PM, Blogger Carole Knits said...

That photo scared the crap out of me.

 
At September 26, 2006 at 3:37 PM, Blogger Laura said...

No matter how you look at it, that's a LOT of yarn! You go girl. You too, Cheryl. Woah. :-D

 
At September 26, 2006 at 3:56 PM, Blogger --Deb said...

Darn--I was disappointingly close! (I guessed 521.) Still . . . I don't begrudge the win to Amanda!

 
At September 26, 2006 at 7:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The secret is not just any wine but home made Marionberry Mead, made by my wonder bunny hubby..... oh yeah and lots of football watching.....
Must get back to the tribbles, they multiply every time you turn your back.....
Cheryl

 
At September 26, 2006 at 9:22 PM, Blogger KarenK said...

I am SO happy to see that much yarn to be spun - that means that there will be more Sock Hop soon, right? Love my skeins, they're on prominent display in my living room, and they're next on my list of what will go on my needles.

 
At September 27, 2006 at 7:43 AM, Blogger Stacey said...

WOW!!!!!! that is a lot of roving and a lot of yarn!!!!!!

 
At September 28, 2006 at 4:37 AM, Blogger Jackie said...

My first guess was up past 500 but then I thought "NO WAY! The woman must do SOMETHING else with her life" What sort of a set up do you have to be able to process so much fiber? And how many dye pots do you have?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home