the Intrepid Fiberwizard

adventures in spinning, knitting, gardening and life

Sunday, October 8, 2006

Calling all spinners


The Amish community suffered an enormous loss this week - as many of you have read in the news. It is a mother's worst nightmare to lose a child.
Diana has made a plan to respond to this horrific tragedy with a gift of handspun handknit shawls to the women who have lost children. Read her post here.
I just got an email from Diana, and she is in need of more spinners.
She needs handspun black yarn. about a pound of it.
Diana and Shelley will pair a spinner with a knitter, and then a gift of their jointly made shawl will be sent to one of the women who lost a child this week in the Amish community.
Please hop on over and tell Diana that you will spin a bit for this wonderful project.
Women sharing kindness with women.
Isn't that we're all about?

7 Comments:

At October 8, 2006 at 9:28 PM, Blogger Lori said...

Thank you, Teyani! I'd already signed up, but I'm so glad this is getting some attention on your blog too :)
If you find a source for (reasonably affordable) plain black roving, will you let me know? I've been looking, and haven't found much yet...

 
At October 9, 2006 at 12:48 PM, Blogger --Deb said...

It's such a nice idea, but from what I understand, the Amish don't accept gifts from outside their community . . . Has anybody checked as to whether these gifts will actually be accepted?

 
At October 9, 2006 at 3:53 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Teyani, such a great idea and I have seen it around blogland. I have sent an email to help out. The best lesson we can all learn from the Amish is from their behaviour after the shooting - I don't know how many of us could possess such forgiveness and grace in the face of some unfathomable tragedy.

 
At October 10, 2006 at 4:51 PM, Blogger Fiberjoy said...

It's a very thoughtful, lovely idea! I hope that Diane has verified if they'd be willing to accept the shawls.

Yes, this type of grace and forgiveness is so needed in our world.

 
At October 10, 2006 at 6:57 PM, Blogger Knittinreed said...

Oh, if only I could spin to help.....

 
At October 11, 2006 at 12:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My brother and SIL have Mennonite neighbors who told them that the Amish have a very strict dress code and probably wouldn't be able to use the shawls. They do have a fund set up though to help defray the medical expenses. Perhaps the shawls could be auctioned off and the money sent to the Nickle Mines Children's Fund.

 
At October 12, 2006 at 2:27 PM, Blogger Wendy Stackhouse said...

This is a great project! Unfortunately, I am way too slow. But my thoughts are with all of the unfortunate families.

OT, however, I received my Love Me Tender roving and it is even more beautiful than on the website, perfect! Thanks, Teyani!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home