the Intrepid Fiberwizard

adventures in spinning, knitting, gardening and life

Friday, October 27, 2006

Oom Pa Pa

I got back home from Tampa, Florida a day or so ago - at 2 am. My head and body are still a tad bit jet lagged - yet I'm here in one piece. The good news is that my luggage finally made it home too - yay! (two days after me)
I decided to wait to post, since my "road trip" knitting was in the suitcase (along with my entire set of dpns.... about $400 worth of needles) I wondered to myself, when they lost my luggage - what on earth possessed me to take ALL my dpn's with me..... (never did get an answer on that one)
I think that I had been more concerned about losing them than I was about my clothing, jewlery etc. It's a sure sign that you're addicted to the knit when you care more about losing your needles than you do about valuable jewlery..

Moving right along, here's the Socktoberfest Socks.. a completed pair (no laughing out there)- whoo hoo, and a big oom-pa-pa.
They are made from Sock Hop Yarn colorway "Respect"
size 1 needles
pattern Bluebell Rib
The best news is that they are actually for me. yumm. (and there are TWO of them ! (I know, I know, silly, yet true. Most of my knitting is either for the booth displays or gifts.) Can you hear the Oom-pa band playing those wonderful dance tunes as I twirl about in them? no? well, err, umm... maybe it's just me singing.

There was some other knitting that happened on the road as well:
I began these for my oldest daughter (it was a very long flight, with a couple hour layover)- They are a Christmas gift for this year (we hope) I have only one more repeat of the pattern (4 rows) and then I begin the toe decreases. I just love this yarn - the way the color dances around the sock never ceases to delight me. There will be a second sock for sure.

I wonder if anyone else out there has begun their holiday gift knitting?

It was a good trip to Tampa - and no, dear friends.. I didn't get to have a "cuban and a cigar" (I hear this is the "Tampa" thing to do.. ho ho...) All my hours were spent digging into a gazillion packing boxes, smooshing packing paper flat, and finding space for things to go inside various cupboards and closets. Cuban sandwiches will be the next trip. I must also confess, that the only sights of Tampa I saw were through the car window as we drove to my parent's new home. I have a feeling that there is another trip to visit them in my very near future.
We had a delightful time (believe it or not) and we got them about 90% unpacked; and we were hanging pictures right up until 5 minutes before my departure. If you're ever planning to visit Tampa, now is the right time of year. It is a glorious 70 degrees, with nights dipping down into the 50's. I loved seeing my parents - and their new home is beautiful (all except for the black widow spiders my brother discovered had moved into their encolsed lanai. yuck - and absolutely true.)

A few days before I flew out to the east coast, I began waking up at 4 am (excitment? or was my body just trying to change time zones ahead of me?) Truthfully, I didn't mind at all, for I figured that the extra 3 waking hours were totally MINE, to do whatever I felt like. Yipeeeee... so, now I can imagine, you are asking yourself - whatever did she do? spin (of course)
And here's the results:
This is the superwash merino that my friend Lisa gave me at OFFF this September. My fingers had been itching to spin it, but I hadn't been able to tear myself away from all the Sock Hop spinning. Now, finally I could. I am totally enjoying these vivid colors!. I spun it up in a similar manner to the way I normally spin our Sock Hop Yarn - so I can knit it up on size 1 needles. Look for socks to be sprouting from this skein right after my holiday gift knitting.

And back on the home front now, fall has truly arrived. It is my favorite of all the seasons - my flowers are in their final hurrah for the year - and there is a tad bit of work to be done at my office - do you see some jumping in piles of leaves in my near future? !. (*grin*)

15 Comments:

At October 27, 2006 at 7:04 PM, Blogger Carole Knits said...

Your new socks are beautiful. And I'm so glad you're home. I've missed you.

 
At October 27, 2006 at 7:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

great socks! :)

I started my holiday knitting ... I'm doing sweaters for my mom and sisters (and DH, but he doesn't expect it until next year, ha!). I finished one sweater for one sis, am 2/3 done with my cardi for my mom, and then I will start the vest for my other sis. I also hope to spin up 4oz of silk (that I ordered from you guys!) and make a (simple!) small shawl/wide scarf for one of my aunts. ;) I may not get to that though! :)

 
At October 27, 2006 at 7:41 PM, Blogger sheep#100 said...

Got family down Tampa way - great weather this time of year.

Next time, bring the cheap dpns! Oh, wait, we don't have any cheap dpns...

 
At October 28, 2006 at 3:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad you had a safe trip! The socks are great.

 
At October 28, 2006 at 3:18 AM, Blogger Phoebe said...

Glad everything went well and you are your DPNs are safe and sound. Remember you have a standing offer for a tour guide next time you are in Tampa...I know where to get many types of Cubans ;)

 
At October 28, 2006 at 3:45 AM, Blogger Julie said...

Ooo love the socks! Did you get any citrus in Florida or is it still a tad early? I'm going to ask my MIL to bring some when she comes for Thanksgiving. There's no holiday knitting on my agenda this year other than perhaps a sweater for hubby and if I *really* get carried away I'll do hats for the boys. Good luck with yours!

 
At October 28, 2006 at 8:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your Soctoberfest socks look fabulous! I'm so glad that they are for you!

I mailed your package yesterday, so start stalking your mailperson! I'm hoping that it will reach you by Halloween!

Your Toasty Toes Pal

 
At October 28, 2006 at 10:41 AM, Blogger Knittinreed said...

Welcome home. I'm sure your parents are thrilled to be settled so well in their new home thanks to you!

Iam glad your bags with all the really important items found you.

Fabulous socks! Your colors are always lovely, too. I have been thinking about my holiday knitting... Does that count?

 
At October 28, 2006 at 1:54 PM, Blogger Jackie said...

I'm glad you had a good time with your parents.
That yarn is so scrumptous. The old salivary glands are working over time.
And GOOD FOR YOU! A PAIR os socks for your self! You so deserve it!

 
At October 28, 2006 at 2:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your socks are awesome! I love the colors and think the pattern is perfect for them. Glad you got home safe!

 
At October 28, 2006 at 4:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love those newest socks Teyani. They are almost as pretty as my blue TT socks!

 
At October 29, 2006 at 2:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The socks look great! And holiday knitting is NOT premature at this point. It is almost November.

 
At October 29, 2006 at 8:24 AM, Blogger Fiberjoy said...

Teyani,
You've been much on my mind. It's good that your parent's momentous move went smoothly, and that you were able to help them settle into their new home.

Haven't started on Christmas gifts, I'm still spindling for Baby Faith's blanket.

 
At October 30, 2006 at 6:00 AM, Blogger Karen said...

Welcome Home Teyani! I'm glad to hear your parents are mostly settled into their new place. Your new socks are really pretty! It's nice you made a pair for yourself for once! Your newly spun yarn is really pretty too. It will make some beautiful socks!

 
At October 30, 2006 at 8:01 AM, Blogger Stacey said...

Whew! Thank goodness all your needles are home safe!!!

The bluebell (or yellowbell?) socks came out wonderful! They look cozy and squishy warm!

No time for holiday knitting here - I am giving certificates for future knitted items - like one for a hat for my dad, and (more) socks for my hubby. That way no time pressure to get them done and they can pick a color/style they like!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home