the Intrepid Fiberwizard

adventures in spinning, knitting, gardening and life

Sunday, November 19, 2006

...the goose is getting fat...

As we fast approach my most favorite holiday, Thanksgiving, I am also quite mindful that Christmas is coming just as fast. You'll find me humming christmas songs as I prepare this week.
Did you ever wonder why there are no "songs" we really sing for thanksgiving ? It seems to me that there should be. I just plain love this particular day. .. yeah, before you all write and chastise me, I know there's 'we gather together'.. but that song always feels more like church to me, and not so much thanksgiving... but I digress. Perhaps the thing I love most about this day is that nothing is expected of anyone, except to show up, eat and enjoy each other, while giving thanks for all our many blessings. That's just about perfect in my book.

I have been cleaning like the energizer bunny, and the house is ready for company. I even washed the windows. It looks glorious, and I am well pleased. Now all that needs to be done is to enjoy my family - that is truly the best part of this holiday.

Between dyeing new batches of fiber, and sending out packages (that's K's job) I've been doing a bit of knitting - hurrah!
Here's some completed Christmas gifts :-) and definately no hints as to who they are for! You never know who might peek into blogland!

First up, Socks:
Twist and Shout -
this is a pattern written by Heartstrings. It has hearts all around the ankle and top of the foot, and it definately fits this recipient (whom I dearly love) I'd model them to show you the hearts, but they're already washed and ready to go. You'll just have to imagine.






Ain't No Mountain High Enough -
these are in progress. I've begun the heel on one sock, and am about 1/2 inch from the top of the heel on the second. Please forgive the color being "off" in this photo - they are much lighter than they appear here. for accurate color, look here.
The pattern I am using for these is the Madder Rib, from Nancy Bush.
soft and yummy.


Fingerless Gloves-
I knit this up with Debbie Bliss, cashmerino. absolutely divine. The pattern is from Karen Alfke, I got it in a class that I took last year (where I knit my very first cables.. don't faint Carole, they are easier than they look :-) I just wish that I could figure out a better place to hold my cable needle than in my mouth (tee hee)
and yes, there is already a pair of these!
I made them a bit longer than normal, since the recipient has elegant long fingers (longer than mine *grin*) and I think that she'll enjoy them.
I have to hide them from my cats until they are wrapped. The cats seem to love all things goat - they continue to steal them, and prance all around the house with the glove in their mouth, like they have stalked some kind of prey. very silly.





And finally, I just began these fingerless gloves:
I am using some silk-merino by Louisa Harding to knit these. Can everyone say oooooooh-aaaaahh... yes, they feel like heaven. I will edge them around the cuff and the top with the multicolor green mohair-silk just to add a tiny touch of 'bling'. The recipient of these is certainly special enough to me to merit this divine yarn.
I am knitting with another cable design - which I am totally enjoying - this is one that I modified from a sweater pattern in the Viking Knits book that is also pictured.
The gloves are so satisfying to knit. They only take a couple of days, and there is no worry about whether or not I know what size someone's foot is. this is good.

How are all of you doing on your knitting for the holidays? I still have a bunch to do, and I'd better get it in gear, since almost all of my gifts have to fly their way to remote locations :-)

Happy thanksgiving to all of you - may you be blessed throughout the holiday season.

24 Comments:

At November 19, 2006 at 5:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your holiday knitting looks beaoooootiful! The green fingerless gloves will be especially pretty trimmed with the mohair. May I ask what size needles you prefer for your sock hop socks?
Dawne

 
At November 19, 2006 at 7:34 PM, Blogger --Deb said...

Well, something's expected of the COOK, but . . . (grin)

Your knitting looks beautiful. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving, too!

 
At November 19, 2006 at 8:12 PM, Blogger sheep#100 said...

I just got a Christmas knitting assignment. My MIL loves her Broadripples as bed socks and would love another pair of handknits.

 
At November 19, 2006 at 8:46 PM, Blogger Gaby said...

The Louisa Harding's yarns are really nice :) Impression is one of my favorites :)
Regards from Buenos AIres

 
At November 20, 2006 at 3:20 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Happy Thanksgiving, Teyani! I hope you have a wonderful day!

 
At November 20, 2006 at 3:56 AM, Blogger Julie said...

Happy Thanksgiving!

Nice pressies too :)

 
At November 20, 2006 at 4:08 AM, Blogger Sean Carter said...

The knits look quite nice...they are coming out very well!!Happy Thanks Giving To You and your Family!!

 
At November 20, 2006 at 4:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So many beautiful knits. You've got some lucky people on your holiday list! I still have so much to do and Christmas seems to be coming really fast this year hopefully I'll be able to get it all done!

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

 
At November 20, 2006 at 4:46 AM, Blogger Carole Knits said...

Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday, too, for all the same reasons as you. And I love those fingerless gloves, cables and all!

 
At November 20, 2006 at 4:52 AM, Blogger Annie said...

Aha. I'm glad you got to keep some of that sock yarn for yourself. Well... to knit with... And isn't that merino silk lovely? I love that green and the chocolate brown. Yum. Happy Turkey Day to you and yours.

 
At November 20, 2006 at 5:31 AM, Blogger Karen said...

Lovely presents! You will be responsible for a lot of smiles this hoilday. :)

I am behind with my Christmas knitting. I am trying to scramble and finish my Icarus in time for the holiday parties this year so I am behind with everything else.

 
At November 20, 2006 at 5:32 AM, Blogger Karen said...

I forgot to say Happy Thanksgiving to you too!! :)

 
At November 20, 2006 at 6:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

All of your holiday knitting is simply gorgeous. Have a happy and healthy Thanksgiving!

 
At November 20, 2006 at 6:36 AM, Blogger Ramona said...

I'm in love with those green fingerless gloves! I think you need to write up a pattern. Happy Thanksgiving!

 
At November 20, 2006 at 7:08 AM, Blogger Stacey said...

Lots of cabley goodness! (I hold it in my mouth also - I have to try doing it without a cable needle one of these days!)

I only have a few things to knit, a hat and a pair of socks, so hopefully I'll be done on time!

 
At November 20, 2006 at 12:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Thanksgiving to you too! I hope you have a wonderful one. And your Christmas knitting is looking great btw.

 
At November 20, 2006 at 2:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Perhaps a new colorway celebrating your Energizer Bunny-ness. Awesome amount of knitting - even whole pairs!

 
At November 20, 2006 at 3:01 PM, Blogger Jackie said...

Happy Thanksgiving! Being Canadian, I'm a passive observer to this holiday (our Thanksgiving was in October) I really enjoy this holiday because it is at my house and all the laws and in-laws, and anyone else comes to MY HOUSE! No struggles. No guilt. Just lots off food and wine, laughter and love. Everyone is happy (except the turkey, poor guy)! Enjoy your holiday.

 
At November 22, 2006 at 11:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Thanksgiving!

I'm making one present (or going to try), a knitted stuffed kitty for my sister. I wish I could knit more gifts, but with a full-time job, it's really hard.

Your knitted gifts are gorgeous -- I know I'd be thrilled to get those lovely hand/armwarmers.

 
At November 22, 2006 at 2:52 PM, Blogger Knittinreed said...

I hope everything has settled down since the storm. We are crazy busy here and I have not had a NY minute to visit my favorite blogging friends :-}

Your gifts look as beautiful as always - and the recipients will be thrilled!

I hope your Thanskgiving is full of family and good food and cheer.

 
At November 24, 2006 at 3:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lovely wristlets! We, too, cleaned and cleaned and cleaned, then cooked and cooked and cooked some more.

That silky stuff is beautiful.

 
At November 29, 2006 at 8:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so impressed with how far along you are on your holiday knitting. I've only managed one measly little roll-brim hat.

And for Thanksgiving tunes, perhaps you could belt out a few choruses of "Alice's Restaurant." The whole thing gets a bit talky and wordy and goes on and on (!), but when the chorus comes around again, act like you're a movement!

 
At December 5, 2006 at 2:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Any chance you could share where the pattern is for the cabled fingerless gloves? They are so beautiful!

Have a great day!
Rhonda

 
At January 9, 2007 at 10:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just checking up on some of your old blogs, and lo and behold, I do believe I recognize a beautiful pair of green fingerless gloves!! I love them ... and I love you, too!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home