the Intrepid Fiberwizard

adventures in spinning, knitting, gardening and life

Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Neither snow, nor rain, nor sleet...

Our postmaster gets big props today. She drove through snow and an inch of ice packed solid on our back country roads in order to deliver my Yarn Aboard box ! Yipppeeee..

Ferdinand Magellan has landed - and has now become ice bound. He will be delayed a few days from continuing his 'round the world' expedition, while we pick the ice off his rudder - and then hopefully be on his way to his next stop. It's been 20 degrees outside here lately - with a wind chill factor that makes it below zero.... (very unusual for this area) and they are predicting yet another huge winter storm tonight..... so this wizard is home spinning :-)
The kitties are enjoying their very first glimpse of snow - and are begging to go out and play (the answer's no)





So here's my goodies.
despite the box having seen better days, everything inside arrived in tact!

Jackie sent such a lovely assortment of goodies - and she gave incredible attention to detail. It began with a lovely note card and part of a book that she copied for me called Burd that was written by Stewart Mclean. Apparently, there is a reference in the book to "Cosmic Mother Fu...." that is quite hilarious, since our business is often referred to as CMF - Jackie has translated that now to "Cosmic Mother Fibre".. cute eh?! Even her note to me was a work of art - notice the hand sewn top and the perfect paper crane at the bottom. just lovely.

There was, of course, chocolate (yay) from Canada - Denman Island chocolate. That will be promptly eaten, now that it has been photographed (*grin*)

And just look at these hand made ornaments -the ball is handmade by Jackie - it is called temari. She made it with some left over yarns from silk scarves that she wove. I wonder how she knew that my husband and I love stars! (particularly the 8 pointed ones for me) It is almost too incredible to even photograph. And the origami ornaments are also so dear; a horse and a crane. Truly they will be good luck on our tree.
She also included a "lobster pen" - it's one of those eewwie-goowie rubbery things.. made me laugh. She said "what's a box from the maritimes without a lobster" tee hee.

Okay - now for the fiber.............. tah dah!

Luscious pink and fuschia alpaca roving (8 whole ounces!). I can't wait until my bobbins are empty so that I may spin that into a yarn for a scarf, or maybe even a shawl if I can make it thin enough. I haven't spun much alpaca, so I am totally in awe of this gift.. can't wait. Isn't the color vivid and wonderful?! It is totally me.
Beside the alpaca in the photo is a bag smashed full of silk rags. I have played with these a tiny bit before - flicking them into a dark yarn as I spin. Now I have a whole humongo bunch that I can mess with. wow. they are really fun guys.

And last - but by far NOT least, there is ..... (drum roll please) Quiviet ! whoa - this stuff is amazing! (and also is one of the very few fibers that we do not (yet) sell. Jackie must have read through every page on our website to find this out (and that's alot of reading!) Not only is it soft, delightful and begging to be spun, but Jackie took the time and care to pick through the entire bundle, removing all the guard hairs - This fiber was scraped from the hide of a musk ox. I think that I shall just sit and gaze at it for a long time before it is spun. My mind is already filled with glorious images of a lacey scarf (once I get brave enough to spin this stuff)

thank you, Jackie. Your attention to detail, the care in fiber selection and your handmade goodies have made my heart sing. Please hop on over to her blog and give her a big round of applause for this wonderful gift to me!

17 Comments:

At November 29, 2006 at 11:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness Teyani the contents of that box are amazing! Everything is so special and wonderful. But the Quivet oh my! You know I just recently bought the book "Artic Lace" and it has all kinds of patterns made with that stuff! If you want to borrow the book just yell!

 
At November 29, 2006 at 1:11 PM, Blogger Jackie said...

I'm glad that everything arrived safely through the storm (!) and that you are happy with it all. We had a light sprinkle of snow here, but nothing like what we could see in your pictures. Have fun! I am looking forward to seeing how you use the silk fibres.

 
At November 29, 2006 at 2:39 PM, Blogger --Deb said...

Oh, wow, I was impressed with the box even BEFORE I got to the Qiviut. Wowzer!

And, it sounds like your mail-carrier is as good as ours is. Priceless!

 
At November 29, 2006 at 3:15 PM, Blogger Julie said...

What a fabulous package! Temari balls is something I've been anxious to learn to make but haven't attempted just yet. Gold star for your postal person!

 
At November 29, 2006 at 3:23 PM, Blogger sheep#100 said...

Very cool package. Looking forward to seeing how the qiviut spins up.

 
At November 29, 2006 at 3:51 PM, Blogger Carole Knits said...

That's an amazing package! and brrrr. It looks awfully cold there.

 
At November 29, 2006 at 3:52 PM, Blogger Ramona said...

What a great box of goodies! I love the ornaments.

 
At November 30, 2006 at 3:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know winter storms are annoying and inconvenient, but there is nothing like hunkering down in a warm spot and spinning or knitting.

It's 60 here in Vermont today, but I do recall times in the past....

 
At November 30, 2006 at 4:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those kitties would change their minds fast once they were out in it.

 
At November 30, 2006 at 7:39 AM, Blogger Stacey said...

What a great gift to curl up with on a freezing blustery day! Fiber!!

No snow here in Massachusetts yet, but we are forecast to get some on Monday. I'm waiting for winter to break out the sweaters!

 
At November 30, 2006 at 9:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's a pretty cool box of goodies! I love the picture of your cat in the window.

 
At November 30, 2006 at 12:53 PM, Blogger Karen said...

Wow...what a wonderful box of treats you received! The ornaments are so very pretty and the fiber is amazing! Enjoy it all sweet lady and stay safe and warm in that nasty weather you are having!

 
At November 30, 2006 at 2:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! What a terrific pal. The alpaca is such a lovely color. And I can't believe she *made* the ornaments!

Stay as warm and as dry as you can!

 
At November 30, 2006 at 2:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How very thoughtful of your postal worker to bring you lots of things to do while you're snowbound! The cats in the window are sweet - if they knew snow was made of water, they might not be so anxious to go outside.

 
At November 30, 2006 at 9:19 PM, Blogger Fiberjoy said...

What a wonderful treasure box full of good cheer. I'm totally blown away by the temari ormaments.

Hope you're staying warm, safe and secure on your mountaintop. This weather is baffling.

 
At December 1, 2006 at 11:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

HOLY MOLY!!! You got the motherload girl!!! Everything in there is just fantastic - I love the ornaments!!!

I see the pics of the snow outside your window and I'm so jealous!! I miss it so much - it's December 1st down here in Miami and it's almost 80 degrees and beyond humid...ugh...not feeling "Christmasy" down here...lol

 
At December 3, 2006 at 4:53 PM, Blogger Chris said...

Wow, Jackie put together a wonderful package of goodies for you!!

We've only had a bit of intermittent snow so far, none of which has stayed. May chittered at it as it fell - should I tell her it isn't lots of birds?!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home