the Intrepid Fiberwizard

adventures in spinning, knitting, gardening and life

Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Oh my my

This blog is being brought to you via generator power... and it looks like it'll be that way for a few days at least.

It's been an exciting day here at Crown Mountain Farms in more ways than one.
We're experiencing gale force winds (and have been since about 7:00 am.) What I mean is winds that are peaking out above 60 mph. now that's windy!
The power has been out all day - and was also out all day on Monday. Trees and power lines are toppled - trees have crashed into our fence line (luckily it was a fence in the middle of the pastures and no animals have escaped) The rain is pelting the windows with a force that feels like the hurricane photos look. Several 10 foot high photinia shrubs have been broken off at their roots from my garden. It is a mess. The 30 foot cedars bend over almost in half it seems with each gust of wind that flies by, and our house on the hill is doin' the "Shake, Rattle and Roll".
Wow.
This isn't supposed to happen in the Pacific Northwest.
They say it will continue through today, then we get a break and it begins again on sunday.
wow again.
All the power in our small city is out, every single business, gas stations, grocery stores, post offices, etc. is closed. It's like a ghost town in there according to reports. I wasn't able to go in to work today because live power lines lay across the major intersections en route.
Truly amazing.

In the middle of the storm this morning, we put our Sock Hop Yarn up for sale again. (great planning eh? :-) Now that was a hurricane in and of itself - yet it was the good kind ! Our spinners had been working like crazy for the past three months, and we sent out the emails to our wish list folks. We were ready.
At 5:50 a.m. the telephone began to ring... and hardly stopped, at 6:00 am, the website went live and it was off to the races. We could only sit and watch hundreds of emails flooding in with orders. Giggling and hooting with joy, we cheered each one.Smack dab in the middle of the flurry of sales, we lost power... whoa nellie! My husband raced out, hauled the generator out of the shed, and gave a mighty yank or two to kick it into gear. back in business.
We have about 1/3 of our lights working in the house, and are able to cook on the gas stovetop. It looks like we'll be "roughing it" for a few days. Hopefully the post office will be reopened tomorrow.

T
hank you to everyone for making this another rousing, successful day ! We had to turn off the sales on line at 8:15 am, because we were once again sold out. Hard to believe, yet true.

I am completely grateful for everyone's enthusiastic response to our handspun sock yarn. You have brought joy to a huge number of handspinners.

If you missed out on this round of sales, and would like to be added to the early notification email list, hop on over to our website and go to the Sock Hop Yarn page (see the link above) . You'll be placed on a wish list, and we'll be contacting you soon.
thank you to everyone for your patience, your support and encouragement.

It's been a wild ride today - hold onto your hat, 'cause it ain't over yet!


18 Comments:

At November 15, 2006 at 5:26 PM, Blogger sheep#100 said...

Wow, and you stil had time to confirm that pencil roving coming to chez trek. Gotta tell you, btrulyirish was way impressed with your customer service today. I told her you're just some cool people.

 
At November 15, 2006 at 6:29 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Good luck with the storm Teyani...I hate it when the power is out at the farm because we are never ready with extra water, etc. - thank god for the generator. The best thing is that your wheel is foot powered and needs no electricity at all! Congrats on selling out; it's like being in line for some big rock concert!

 
At November 15, 2006 at 6:43 PM, Blogger Sara M. said...

Great news! Sorry about the power outage though. I'd love to be added to the notification list, but am having trouble accessing the correct email address. If you could add me or contact me regarding this I'd be forever grateful. Thanks!

 
At November 15, 2006 at 7:22 PM, Blogger --Deb said...

Wow--that sounds like QUITE a day!!

 
At November 16, 2006 at 2:47 AM, Blogger Julie said...

It sounds pretty wild and crazy out there. I'm so glad you've got a generator and can tell us you're still okay :) Stay safe and dry as you can.

Congrats on the sellout!

 
At November 16, 2006 at 3:55 AM, Blogger Annie said...

Holy cow, when I talked to you on the phone, you seemed pretty calm. I get antsy when the power's out and the wind's howling... Must've been the aftereffects of such yarny success. Congrats...

 
At November 16, 2006 at 4:07 AM, Blogger Carole Knits said...

Oh wow! Sounds like an exciting day in more ways than one. I finished spinning my sock hop roving yesterday. What timing!

 
At November 16, 2006 at 4:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How wonderful! Congrats on selling out on the sock hop yarn!

Hope you get your power back soon!

 
At November 16, 2006 at 4:54 AM, Blogger Karen said...

Your Sock Hop yarn reminds me of Thanksgiving dinner. It takes forever and a day to prepare and then it's all over in minutes. :)

Stay safe in the storms!

 
At November 16, 2006 at 5:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It was stormy here yesterday too Teyani but luckily we kept our power. I can sooooooooo relate to your weather woes though. I had no idea until you and I became acquainted that storms like that happened there. I'm such a little hot house flower, I know nothing it seems! LOL!

Glad you are okay and congrats again on the great SHY sale.

Stay dry!

 
At November 16, 2006 at 5:58 AM, Blogger Stacey said...

Hang in there! At least you have the generator to keep you going partially!

Congrats on the sales - may it continue!!!!

 
At November 16, 2006 at 12:03 PM, Blogger Jackie said...

Holy Hannah! Quite the tale you have told. I hope that all remains well and the power gets back on soon. Congrats on your quick sell out! That is amazing!

 
At November 17, 2006 at 12:25 AM, Blogger Joyfossil said...

My sympathies on the power loss - we used to lose power many times in the winters when I was growing up (in NY).

My HUMUNGOUS, GIGANTIC, more than heartfelt thanks for putting up 'just enough' yarn that I actually got to order some of that yarn deliciousness yesterday! I think I finished my order at 8:14... talk about lucky! I am so excited I can hardly stand it!

I hope you have hot water. Nothing is worse than not being able to shower... and a cold one is so bone shattering.

I will think warm, cozy, not-quite-so-windy thoughts for you as I anticipate my warm, cozy, BE-YOU-TEE-FULL sock hop yarn.

xo

 
At November 17, 2006 at 7:22 AM, Blogger Wendy Stackhouse said...

My friend Joy got some yarn yesterday, yay! Congratulations on such a successful day! And thanks for coming over to look at my striping yarn from your rovings. I can hardly wait to cast on (and probably won't)!

 
At November 17, 2006 at 7:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, what a storm. And what a day of sales! Congrats on such a huge success!

 
At November 17, 2006 at 9:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was going to recommend that you tie the sheep to the trees, but given the strength of the wind that might not be such a good idea. "Chester, I don't think we're in Kansas, er, Washington anymore!"

Congrats on the yarn successes -- it's not a fluke, you know, you guys make great stuff!

 
At November 17, 2006 at 12:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, hang on Teyani! Keep safe and warm!

 
At November 19, 2006 at 2:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, congratulations on a wild sale! I'm sorry the weather has been equally wild. The good thing about knitting and spinning is the lack of electricity needed. The bad thing? All the time taken from fiber in order to clean up Mother Nature's tantrum!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home