the Intrepid Fiberwizard

adventures in spinning, knitting, gardening and life

Saturday, December 16, 2006

Counting our Blessings

We're in day three with no power here in Washington State; the power company is predicting that it could take up until next week to get it back on line - and yet we are counting all our blessings (in no particular order)
*all our animals are fine and so are we
*all our 30 foot cedars are still standing
* we had an amazingly glorious sunrise this chilly morning
*We have a generator (and it works really well) - we have heat and some power
* the gas stove top works - so we can cook
* four electrical outlets work in the kitchen/living room area (which means that I can keep dyeing fiber)
* and one outlet in each bedroom works (which means that we have telephone service and internet as well)
there are many others that I could go on and on about... but rather than doing that, I ask you to focus a bit of attention towards thanking all the power crews who are working hard to restore power. Their job is enormous. Trees and main power conduits are destroyed all over the northwest. The winds here at our house were above 75mph. Almost all the major towns, and all the small townships (including ours) have been without power since thursday. The temperatures are still below freezing as I write this. there are so many people who do not have generators. Please send your thoughts out to them.

Darkness comes early around this part of the country right now - it is totally dark by 4:30pm. Yesterday the highs were about 40 degrees. I went in to my office, to see a few "hardy" clients (I say hardy because it was only 46 degrees inside the building.) We lit candles and wore our coats and gloves. Somehow the people of the northwest have a wonderful inner strength. The rain, snow and cold do not deter them when they want to be somewhere. It is marvelous, and inspiring.

During the daylight hours I have been able to knit a bit more on my holiday gifts. They are in various stages of completion (yay!) I'm thinking that I might actually be able to finish by Christmas - double yay !


Wanna see up closer?
sorry about the blurry photos - the lighting isn't very good on this overcast, chilly day.

Cable back fingerless gloves - in Lousia Harding Cashmere-merino. I just love the little kisses and hugs pattern on this one. These are for a dear friend who deserves all the smooches she can imagine!




another pair of fingerless gloves - in Debbie Bliss cashmere-merino. The blue is so deep and vivid - it looks closer to the color shown in the photo above. I used the cable pattern from the Viking Knits book that I have pictured in previous posts. These are for a 20-something man who has quite large hands (he's over 6'4" tall) I opted not to make him socks this year (hmmm, I wonder why?)

and yet another pair of fingerless gloves, just begun. This is made from alpaca. It's odd, yet after knitting with the cashmere-merino, the alpaca actually feels scratchy. I'm sure that they will be fine when I am done, but it is certainly odd right now.
The gloves take about a day for me to knit up - and make a great gift for people whose shoe size you don't know.

Wondering about this pattern? Well, it is written by Karen Alfke. It is called "Cableback Fingerless Gloves". I took a class from her last January that was marvelous. She is a delightful, humorous, easy-going instructor. If you're interested in finding out where you can buy a copy, give her a shout at her email : karen@2ndesign.com

And yes, there are indeed socks in progress. These are for my patient daughter, Erin. She's seen them on the needles for a few months now (and so have many of you all... are we bored yet?(giggle)) and hopefully they will be on her feet Christmas Day. I am knitting them with Dicentra Designs superwash merino, colorway Pelennor. The pattern is the baby cable from Sensational Knitted Socks. As you can see, I have finally turned the heel on sock numero duo. I just know I'll finish these now!
Speaking of socks; did anyone else notice that there is another socks book coming out in March 2007 by Charlene Schurch More Sensational Knitted Socks. Oh man - I'm placing my pre-order right now! I have used her sock books more than any other that I own.

Klaus is already out driving around this morning - in search of an open post office. We are hoping that he can find one, so that we may mail out the orders from people on our website. We are told that there has been no mail coming in or going out of the Pacific Northwest since Wednesday, because none of the way-stations have had power. We appreciate all the patience from our customers as we attempt to solve this interesting challenge.

So keep your fingers crossed that the crews out working can finish up soon. Meanwhile, I am down to rather "unique" methods of drying the fiber that I am able to dye.... picture the damp towels dangling from all vertical surfaces in the house, stacks of dye pots lined up on the stove-top....... and me hoping that I can try out "Otto" soon :-)

28 Comments:

At December 16, 2006 at 1:00 PM, Blogger sheep#100 said...

Oh, man, that is just so colonial!

May your power return soonest.

 
At December 16, 2006 at 1:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We had similar conditions during our artic blast! May you have more power soon!!

Love the fingerless glove idea. Probably quicker than socks, too!!

Have a wonderful Christmas, Teyani my dear!! And Klaus too!!

 
At December 16, 2006 at 1:24 PM, Blogger Knittinreed said...

I am sooooo glad all is well with you and Klaus - even tho you are on a generator. You are one hardy bunch of folk! I will surely keep the guys working to restore power and those without said power in my prayers.

Great knitting - and I love the colorway of the socks. Sweet!

 
At December 16, 2006 at 1:41 PM, Blogger Carole Knits said...

Hope your real lights come back soon!

 
At December 16, 2006 at 1:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here I've been whining (IMH) because it's so warm here this December. I'm a transplanted Yankee, and even though I've lived in AL for almost 14 years, it still seems wrong to be in shirt sleeves in mid-December. Having read your post, I'll quit whining now. Hope all is back to normal for you soon soon soon. Have peaceful holidays!

 
At December 16, 2006 at 2:24 PM, Blogger --Deb said...

Thank heaven for the generator!!

 
At December 16, 2006 at 2:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have such wonderful perspective, which is mighty inspiring. I hope your power returns soon and that you all stay safe and well.

 
At December 16, 2006 at 7:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Goodness, dear, stay warm! Have a wonderful Christmas!

 
At December 16, 2006 at 7:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank God you are all safe and sound and that you have a good working generator - brings back bad memories of hurricanes past - I'll have my fingers crossed that you all get power back real soon. In the meantime, you're knitting progress is wonderful - I love those fingerless gloves!

 
At December 16, 2006 at 9:33 PM, Blogger Annie said...

Oooo, I do know exactly how you feel! Out 2 weeks ago for nearly 6 days. Stay warm is the main thing. I also got a ton of knitting done. Take care of yourself and yours!

 
At December 17, 2006 at 5:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad you all are safe. I hope your power is restored soon! Beautiful knits. Love the colors of that sock yarn! I didn't know there was another Sensational Socks book coming out. I can't wait!

 
At December 17, 2006 at 6:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

46 INSIDE the building? You might want to consider adding fingers to those gloves... *wahaha I am SO funny*

PS That is a fantastic generator you've got there! I am glad that there isn't all the snow I was imagining so that people with no power can at least get out and around.

 
At December 17, 2006 at 7:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! Glad to hear you and all your goaties are ok! I don't think I hardly slept that night for fear that a tree would come down on the goat barn!! It looks like you guys took the brunt of the storm as we didn't have but one tree come down - we're about an hour or so south of you. Keep that generator going and stay warm!!

 
At December 17, 2006 at 7:51 AM, Blogger Jackie said...

Glad that you have generator power. And Otto looks too good to be true. I have used the dehumidifier in the bathroom when I needed to dry fiber quickly.

 
At December 17, 2006 at 10:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you guys are okay. You know you are inspiring actually. I guess you've just learned to handle it all with experience.

Please stay warm and the xmas gifts are really lovely!

 
At December 17, 2006 at 12:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have a nice way of making total inconvenience sound quite charming. Happy holidays!

 
At December 17, 2006 at 3:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So glad you have a generator! I've been wondering how you and K are doing. We had 70 mph winds down here in OR. I lost the outer layer of my greenhouse and a couple of trees in the pasture. Luckily the power was only out for a few hours. I think I am going to check into a battery backup for my pellet stove...

 
At December 17, 2006 at 6:37 PM, Blogger Chris said...

I am glad to hear that you and yours are doing so well - I'll keep my fingers crossed for power to be back on soon.

 
At December 18, 2006 at 5:56 AM, Blogger Karen said...

I'm so glad to hear you guys are doing ok. I can't imagine being without power for that long without a generator.

I love all your wip's. I love fingreless gloves. I have one black pair and I wear them all the time. Thy are starting to look a litted ragged. I just cast on a brown pair last night. Good luck finishing all your projects in time!!

 
At December 18, 2006 at 6:43 AM, Blogger Stacey said...

I hope your power comes back soon, but it seems like you have everything under control and are living the "simpler" life (with internet, of course!) Glad to hear all is well and no major damage.

All the projects are great - different colors, styles...keeps it entertaining!

I saw the new SKS book coming out - if it's anything like the first - it's mine!

 
At December 18, 2006 at 8:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been thinking of everyone in your area this past week so much. I'm glad you're doing well. I live in the St. Louis area. My family was without power for 6 days. We did have a fireplace, but that was it. So not fun, especially with the temperatures below 20 for part of that time.

 
At December 18, 2006 at 5:25 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Intrepid doesn't even begin to describe you guys!

 
At December 20, 2006 at 8:34 AM, Blogger Fiberjoy said...

Teyani,

Thanks for an inspiring, upbeat post! Is the power back on? These have been some cold days this past week.

Those socks look scrumptious!

 
At December 20, 2006 at 9:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The mitts are beautiful, Teyani! I do pray you will be restored to full power very soon. In October, we had a very similar event here in WNY, and thankfully, it was a bit warmer. It does help us to remember what's really important, though, doesn't it? AND thank goodness you can knit!
Merry Christmas!!!!!!!

 
At December 21, 2006 at 5:33 AM, Blogger Miri Mack said...

Your gloves are lovely, Teyani :-) I hope you have power again soon. My family was lucky enough to keep theirs.

 
At December 21, 2006 at 7:12 AM, Blogger Lark said...

Otto is wonderful, your posts are inspirational, and you've been tagged in the 6 Wierd Things About Me game. See my blog for details, and try to stay warm! Blue Skies, Lark

 
At December 21, 2006 at 8:44 PM, Blogger Fiberjoy said...

I hope you don't mind but...

Be afraid, be very afraid.
Tag! You're IT!

Please see my blog for details, I hope you'll have time to play. It only took me a week to think of what to write.

Fiberjoy

 
At December 24, 2006 at 4:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Unbelievable. I'll pray for power by Christmas. Yikes! We keep debating a generator. Maybe it shouldn't be a debate. Hope you are holding up.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home