the Intrepid Fiberwizard

adventures in spinning, knitting, gardening and life

Thursday, December 7, 2006

It's beginning to look alot like...


Christmas at our house.



My blogging buddy Carole collects snowmen - so do I. :-) These guys are part of my favorite Christmas things that only make an appearence this time of year. They grace the windows around the kitchen and living room (and surprisingly enough, the cats leave them alone)
Each year when I unpack them, I ooh and ahhh like a little kid - silly, yet true.









Another holiday tradition that my daughters and I began many years ago, is to hang snowflakes in the windows. We cut them out around thanksgiving, and they linger until February sometime. Each year we add a few to replace the ones that were torn or faded from the previous year. The really gorgeous ones were made by my oldest daughter, Erin (yeah, she's the artist). Everything that she touches seems to turn to magic. You can see some of the snowflake collection adorning the windows behind my snowmen.
Do you have little traditions like this in your family?
Please share.


And, since you came for a bit of knitting content - here's a couple more completed projects for holiday gifts:

Socks made from Satisfaction Sock Hop Yarn











and I finished the cabled fingerless gloves made from Louisa Harding silk-merino yarn. oo-la-la
A few of you have emailed me, asking for this pattern.......... alas, I am unable to share it. It is published pattern, written by Karen Alfke. (I only modify which cable design I am using) I took a class from Karen last January while attending Madrona Fiber Arts Festival, and it was fabulous. It is possible that your local yarn store could find a copy of it for you.






We finally got our Christmas tree inside last night - and hope to get it decorated later on today. And in the name of the holiday season, I will share with you one more thing.....I have one other little tiny tradition (that caused complete embarassment and giggles from my daughters when they were young...) I have a small collection of these:

and I can frequently be seen wearing them to the grocery store, post office and while shopping for gifts this time of year. jingle jingle.

15 Comments:

At December 7, 2006 at 8:59 AM, Blogger Carole Knits said...

I love your snowmen! And I can just picture you wearing those antlers around town. Love it!

 
At December 7, 2006 at 10:55 AM, Blogger sheep#100 said...

We are hoping to get our tree up before Christmas eve. Handy Jerry's still working on the walls, you know...

 
At December 7, 2006 at 12:42 PM, Blogger Miri Mack said...

I'm a snowflake maker as well. I usually have a little box of them in with my tree ornaments. At times they have been the bulk of my ornaments.

Beautiful socks as usual!

 
At December 7, 2006 at 2:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can so picture you in those jingly antlers. Love it!! We should all feel so free to express ourselves so unselfconsciously!

 
At December 7, 2006 at 3:44 PM, Blogger --Deb said...

Cute antlers! I go for my Tannenbaum Christmas Tree hat, of course....

 
At December 7, 2006 at 4:04 PM, Blogger KarenK said...

http://www.wool2dye4.com/patterns.html

I found this link to Karen's patterns for sale - I assume that it is the beaded "Intermezzo Gloves" that is the source of your version? Nice-looking pattern.

 
At December 8, 2006 at 2:11 AM, Blogger tangelled angel said...

Your daughters snowflakes are AMAZING. Really really good. We used to make those as kids ourselves and I'd kind of forgotten about them. Don't think any of them were any way as good as yours though!

 
At December 8, 2006 at 7:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like the snowmen. I definitely can related to the flakes. But the antlers? Priceless! It's like wearing purple.

 
At December 8, 2006 at 4:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wonderful Christmas decorations and I really like the snowflake idea. Every year the kids and I make cinnamon/applesause ornaments.
Your knits look great!

 
At December 8, 2006 at 4:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

we have a pair of those antlers, too...but I put them on my dog Moses! That is just too funny to imagine you wearing them out and about!

 
At December 9, 2006 at 6:25 PM, Blogger Fiberjoy said...

The snowflakes immediately caught my attention. I love papercut snowflakes. Your daughter does a fantastic job with scissors and paper (and hair).

Reindeer antlers - what a hoot!

 
At December 11, 2006 at 10:07 AM, Blogger Stacey said...

it looks so festive and colorful!!!

 
At December 12, 2006 at 10:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The decorations are gorgeous!!! What a beautiful home ;-)

 
At December 13, 2006 at 8:55 AM, Blogger Chris said...

Oh, those fingerless gloves sound and look divine!! Hee hee - when I wore my black cat ears on Halloween, I got the funniest responses - my favorite ones were when the person would do a double-take and then beam at me. I hope you get a lot of those!

 
At December 14, 2006 at 7:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your sock hop socks are beautiful! I'm sure whoever gets them will love them!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home