the Intrepid Fiberwizard

adventures in spinning, knitting, gardening and life

Saturday, December 23, 2006

Oopps

"No problem, I can do that - it's easy" (have you ever heard yourself say this?)
Hmmm - ever hear the phrase 'famous last words' - of course you have.
Let me put it this way - ahem ....(feel free to laugh loudly while you read on)

Christmas gifts have been flying off my needles (hurray). I only had two more little things that I wanted to make; gifts for my kitties and my oldest daughter's kitties. I figured that cat beds would be perfect.
I had some pencil roving knit up in a partially finished poncho that had been lying on the floor for a few months (who me?!) and the cats just loved curling up on it. pencil roving = easy cat beds... right? raaawwwrriight.
Hey, I said to myself, I had knit felted bags, hats, slippers, purses, " what's a cat bed but a bigger circle with sides on it?" (laughter can get a little bit harder now)

I knit and I knit (size 19 needles are alot like holding broomsticks). I increased alot, then I knit some more. I added sides, did my i-cord cast off and viola... errr, perhaps I should have noticed something wasn't quite right here at this point, but determined I kept on going)
It'll come out fine when it felts, I told myself in my most confident voice.I shaped it in what I imagined it could be, and pushed, pulled... err, perhaps I could have reconsidered at this point, yet no. I pressed on.

I tossed the blob into the washing machine with an old pair of jeans, and went merrily along with my day. A couple of hours later we had this:

looks rather like a warped mexican sombrero you say?
hmmm
The cats sniffed and turned tail and left.
I placed it lovingly on the floor by the Christmas tree, and for a second (with me laughing so hard my sides hurt) one of the cats actually sat in the blob. I grabbed the camera, yet couldn't stop laughing. (thus all the blurry photos)

And so, I leave you with a wish for a very Merry Christmas - blurry photos and all. They aren't going to get any more clear, because every time I see the blob I laugh.

And so I proceed, humbled and laughing back to the drawing board. You know, I hear that there's a pattern for cat beds in Wendy's book Wendy Knits. I think I'll add that to my wish list. Ya think?!

22 Comments:

At December 23, 2006 at 10:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm thinking they will come to love it! I had a cat once who's favorite place to sleep was a flattened cardboard box.

Wishing you and yours a wonderful holiday and a blessed New Year!!

 
At December 23, 2006 at 10:58 AM, Blogger sheep#100 said...

It is quite hard to take pictures when you are hysterical.

 
At December 23, 2006 at 12:02 PM, Blogger Carole Knits said...

Thanks for the laugh!

 
At December 23, 2006 at 2:18 PM, Blogger KarenK said...

http://wendyknits.net/knit/kittybed.htm

There's a link to Wendy's FREE Kitty Bed pattern. :-)

Merry Christmas!

 
At December 23, 2006 at 2:20 PM, Blogger Annie said...

Hey, that cat knows a good thing when he/she sees it! Merry Christmas!

 
At December 23, 2006 at 3:03 PM, Blogger Julie said...

*lol* Sounds like an adventure!

 
At December 23, 2006 at 3:21 PM, Blogger Fiberjoy said...

Christmas Cheer!

Thanks for the laughter and here's betting the cats will love it. They just need to get their scent on it.

 
At December 23, 2006 at 4:12 PM, Blogger Jackie said...

Happy Christmas to you, your kitties, and their new cat blob. Sorry I meant new cat bed. I'm sure that they will grow to love it. My cat used to sleep in a box that figure skates came in. You never can tell.

 
At December 23, 2006 at 7:56 PM, Blogger --Deb said...

At least you tried!

Merry Christmas!

 
At December 23, 2006 at 8:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That looks scrumptiously comfy to me! Have the best Christmas ever, Teyani!

 
At December 24, 2006 at 3:36 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I bet the kitties sleep in it all the time when you're not looking.

Hope you have a happy holiday filled with laughter (since you've gotten off to such a great start)!

 
At December 24, 2006 at 4:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I didn't quite understand until I saw the cat sitting in it. Too funny!

 
At December 24, 2006 at 5:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok maybe its just me but did it come out terribly small? (stop laughing!) hehe

 
At December 24, 2006 at 5:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

oops. forgot I wanted to wish you a MERRY CHRISTMAS! Aaaaaaaaaaand lots of continuous electicity!

 
At December 24, 2006 at 6:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

At least it's getting used! Have a wonderful Christmas!

 
At December 24, 2006 at 9:58 AM, Blogger Miri Mack said...

It's like a Charlie Brown kittie bed. ;-) Merry Christmas!

 
At December 25, 2006 at 9:22 PM, Blogger Chris said...

Isn't denial amazing?! ;) Maybe if you sprinkle a lot of catnip and add a blanket or towel?? :) (And there are some really cool cat beds in Cat Bordhi's second moebius book.)

 
At December 26, 2006 at 5:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I made Mike a pad out of Tibetan Dreams because he attacked the pencil roving every chance he got. Grabbed it, bit it, rolled in it after he unwound it. Once it was washed and felted - "I never asked for that, take it away."

 
At December 26, 2006 at 6:59 AM, Blogger Kim said...

Wendy has the cat bed pattern on her website:
http://wendyknits.net/knit/kittybed.htm

Your tree looks mighty comfy, though! :-)

 
At December 26, 2006 at 7:08 AM, Blogger Stacey said...

that is hilarious!!!!! it does kind of sort of look like a bed...a little....

:) hope you had a WONDERFUL holiday!!!!!

 
At December 26, 2006 at 12:55 PM, Blogger Kim said...

tree? Errrrr....it was waaaay too early in the morning. I meant that your cat sure looks comfy!

Oy. I blame the laughter I was experiencing this morning when I was admiring your creation. :-)

 
At December 26, 2006 at 12:58 PM, Blogger Knittinreed said...

I think it is perfectly fine (tee-hee-hee)! I'm sure they will grow to love and appreciate it!

Have a very Happy and Healthy New Year full of laughter.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home