the Intrepid Fiberwizard

adventures in spinning, knitting, gardening and life

Thursday, December 14, 2006

Ssshhh, genius at work

It has been hectic here at Fiberwizard central. Rather like a duck... it all looks calm and serene on the surface, but we're paddling like hell underneath !
Knitting for the holidays continues, fiber dyeing goes on every single day almost, I continue to see clients at my office, K keeps the fiber orders shipping out each day, and delightful guests have come and gone (more about that sometime soon)... all in all, it has been a fabulous month.

Once again tonight , as we did on thanksgiving weekend, we are running on generator power. (as in, the wind has knocked down power lines all over our area, and we'll be lucky if we have power within a few days)...
The winds are whipping around at about 70 mph, it sounds like a freight train roaring by - and the great cedars (30 feet plus) are holding on for dear life. so far, so good. The weather forecasters are saying that the worst of the storm will hit in about 6 hours...... worse than this? yikes. I figured that I had best do a post now, and be safe.
Perhaps now is a good time to slip back in time a couple of weeks, and show you some of what went on in the thanksgiving weekend here at wizard central.......
I was fortunate to have my genius brother Peter visit with us over the long thanksgiving weekend. And he had been working for three months on a design for a fiber-drying system for our wet wool. It all began with him puzzling over how amazingly long it took to dry the superwash that I hand dye. (we're talking 3-5 days depending on the humidity out here)

Tah dah!!! may I present, "otto" (so dubbed by K, after much contemplation...it needed a name after all !) Oh... you wanted to see the whole thing?.. nah, you have to scroll to the end to see that, this is just my "power button" (cool eh - I feel totally in control here :-)

So here is the pictoral view.. I just cannot resist showing you, as it is brilliant. My brother Peter designed the entire thing. It is a fiber drying system for my hand dyed fiber. It has eight racks, and can hold about 16 pounds of wet fiber.
I simply cannot wait to try it out - but alas, out garage is not yet quite finished, and the weather (well, some of you have read about what we 've been having here) the weather currently stinks. I must wait until it gets above about 50 degrees to give "Otto" a whirl - and hopefully that will be soon!

Here's the beginning - notice the gorgeous weather
the design was perfect - the weather was holding... yet suddenly it began to get dark and look like this:
it quickly became darker and darker outside....
do you think that deterred the genius (my brother Pete ?nayh.. 'course not. he kept on working through the dark and the rain..


and eventually he worked thru the snow as well.....

BUT... "otto" was finished...... tah dah!!
So the fans blown the air up through the holes, thru the shelves, and out the top ducts, thus drying the fiber in record time- prettty clever, eh?!

I cannot wait to try him out. K kept on walking around that monday calling my brother "otto-man" .. heh heh, I know, it's silly, yet true. We have a rather goofy sense of humor here, but it works for us.

Three cheers to my brother Peter - designer extrodinaire - persevering through rain and sleet and snow. (I guess it's a good thing that I fed him well that weekend eh? ! :-)



All that hard work has me totally tuckered out - phew..... time to rest now. - Emily

15 Comments:

At December 14, 2006 at 10:19 PM, Blogger Lori said...

Your brother rocks! Can my husband copy the idea, or is "Otto" under pending patent?
Hope the storm isn't too bad and the power kicks in soon. Hey, at least the spinning wheel doesn't need electricity!
Stay safe.

 
At December 15, 2006 at 2:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I feel bad now making Klaus trek to the PO with my parcel in the stinky weather (but most likely he was going anyway). The drying box looks the business, I hang mine over the rail at the top of the stairs but I can well see why it wouldn't work for you.

 
At December 15, 2006 at 2:47 AM, Blogger Julie said...

How cool, I can't wait to hear how it works! Be safe in the storm, hopefully it's passed by now and things are calm again.

 
At December 15, 2006 at 3:25 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Brilliant drying system! I hope you weather the storm safely. Hold on to your hats!

 
At December 15, 2006 at 3:49 AM, Blogger Carole Knits said...

It's great that you have a new system. Can we see a picture of it loaded up with fiber? :-)

 
At December 15, 2006 at 5:21 AM, Blogger sheep#100 said...

Check out that drying chamber - wow.

 
At December 15, 2006 at 6:24 AM, Blogger Stacey said...

It's like a huge food dehydrator! :) Great idea, and what a great brother!! He deserves some handknits out of the wool he helped to dry!

Hopefully you'll weather the weather ok - sounds dreadful!

 
At December 15, 2006 at 7:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's wonderful! What an inventive brother you have. Hope your weather gets better soon!

 
At December 15, 2006 at 7:41 AM, Blogger Knittinreed said...

Nice Otto!! It amazes me how many creative and talented people there are.
Stay safe in the storm.

 
At December 15, 2006 at 7:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

God bless the guy who invented the generator. And God bless Peter: it may be snowy outside, but all the fleece will be dry.

 
At December 15, 2006 at 8:41 AM, Blogger Karen said...

What a great idea! What a smart brother you have! I imagine you and Otto and going to best buds.

I hope you guys weathered the storm ok and that you have power back by now.

 
At December 15, 2006 at 1:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think your brother deserves more than three cheers for his genius design! Be sure to give us an update on Otto's performance once you get a chance to put him to use.
I hope your weather calms down soon. The Pacific Northwest has had a terrible time with weather the past few weeks, hasn't it?

 
At December 15, 2006 at 4:01 PM, Blogger --Deb said...

Very nifty--good for your genius brother!

 
At December 16, 2006 at 3:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the drying rack thingy. Now you must. produce. even. more. Ack!

 
At December 17, 2006 at 6:34 PM, Blogger Chris said...

Very clever indeed! Good job, Emily! ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home