the Intrepid Fiberwizard

adventures in spinning, knitting, gardening and life

Tuesday, February 27, 2007

A Day to Celebrate

Yesterday was a very special day here at Crown Mountain Farms.......
the handsome guy in the photo is Klaus ( my sweetheart) - and for the few of you who have had the pleasure of speaking with him on the phone, you would know that he is a native to Germany (that wonderful rich accent of his, gives him away every time - grin)
He's lived full time in the United States for many years, and made his home here with me...... AND, he is now an official US Citizen ! He was sworn in yesterday, so it is finally official.

Hurrah!

Much celebrating going on here. And although my dear pal Amanda suggested we celebrate with hot dogs and apple pie, (which was a great idea btw) we dined last night in a lovely local restaurant on a thick sirloin with gorgonzola crust and martinis. (apple pie to come this weekend when I have time to bake)
The ceremony was actually quite simple, yet given the magnitude of this event, very profound. At one point they showed a video that played the song "Proud to be an American" - with incredible photos of our America. I loved this song when it was written shortly after 911, and it is even more emotionally touching now.
Indeed, he is very proud - as am I. This is a great country that we live in, and so often I take for granted all the freedom we have.... not so today. Let's all send up a rowdy cheer of hurrah for Klaus - and remember that we were fortunate to be born here.

Amid all the splendor of these recent events, I have also been spinning and knitting. Here's a tiny bit of eye candy - (sorry about the blurry photos, the sun hasn't shown its face very often these past few days.... and they are even predicting snow for tonight. wow.)

I finished spinning up these two new colorways for our Sock Hop yarn -

Do you Wanna Dance (and to see even BETTER photos of this particular colorway, click on the link to Amanda's blog above.... she spun it up as well - and took way better photos of her work - grin)


Here's yet another new colorway - Glad All Over


I think that this is my most favorite yarn thus far. The rich greens and subtle tans are reminiscent of the moss on trees, deep in the forest. (and yes, I held back two skeins of this one to knit a pair of socks for my daughter who went gaa-gaa over this color :-)

Currently on my wheel tonight is some of the singles for the colorway "Happy Together" I am anxious to see how the brilliant yellow/blue/white and subtle greens look when plyed. I need to spin up the second 8 ounces before I will know..... I'll keep you posted.

43 Comments:

At February 27, 2007 at 10:34 PM, Blogger ~Kristie said...

CONGRATULATIONS! That is indeed a great reason to celebrate!

 
At February 28, 2007 at 1:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations to Klaus! What a wonderful day you must have had.

 
At February 28, 2007 at 2:54 AM, Blogger Julie said...

Congratulations Klaus!

 
At February 28, 2007 at 3:10 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Congratulations Klaus! Beautiful post and lovely yarn Teyani!

 
At February 28, 2007 at 3:35 AM, Blogger Jackie said...

Congratulations Klaus! And congratulations to you too, Teyani,, on coming up with another couple of winners!

 
At February 28, 2007 at 3:51 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

That is so exciting. Congrats. I remember when my Mom became a US citizen. It was such an emotional day. I hope you have a wonderful apple pie.

 
At February 28, 2007 at 4:10 AM, Blogger Carole Knits said...

Congratulations, Klaus! I'm proud to have you among us.

 
At February 28, 2007 at 5:50 AM, Blogger Stitch-n-Snitch said...

The Glad All Over is gorgeous!! :)

 
At February 28, 2007 at 5:54 AM, Blogger Stacey said...

Congrats to Klaus! What an amazing accomplishment!!!! I think that a lot of people take "being an American" for granted....

The new colorways are beautiful - my hubby would LOVE both of them! Do I feel a shop update coming soon? Maybe?

 
At February 28, 2007 at 5:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay!! Congratulations! I'm a little teary from the post. :D

 
At February 28, 2007 at 6:08 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Congratulations Klaus! I cannot speak as an American but I do know that as a ninth generation Canadian I truly appreciate the country I live in. Even though not hot dogs and apple pie, Sirloin does sound like a pretty good way to celebrate though.

Your new colourways are really beautiful...but then again I am fortunate enough to know one of them in person...LOL!

 
At February 28, 2007 at 6:16 AM, Blogger clothesknit said...

Huzzah! Go Klaus!

And your other new colorway is lovely. Maybe appropriate for manly socks? You keep throwing temptation in my face!!!! It isn't fair!

 
At February 28, 2007 at 7:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations, Klaus! I became a US citizen when I was six years old. Of course, I didn't understand what a huge deal it was as a child, but I'm mighty grateful for the life that I have here.

 
At February 28, 2007 at 7:27 AM, Blogger sheep#100 said...

Congratulations, Klaus.
PS - Teyani, the certificate says that you are not allowed to photograph it!

 
At February 28, 2007 at 7:35 AM, Blogger margene said...

Congrats to Klaus!! You sure know how to celebrate and thank you for sharing it with us.
Your sock hop is fabu!!

 
At February 28, 2007 at 9:03 AM, Blogger Lori said...

Even more congratulations!

 
At February 28, 2007 at 9:17 AM, Blogger Karen said...

Congratulations Klaus! I'm sure it was an exciting and emotional day.

Pretty new colorways Teyani! I really like Glad All Over too!

 
At February 28, 2007 at 9:22 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Congratulations Klaus! I think that many of us would benefit from knowing someone who has gone though this process. It's so easy to take for granted what others work so hard for. Enjoy the apple pie!

 
At February 28, 2007 at 9:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations!!

 
At February 28, 2007 at 10:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is great news. Conratulations!

 
At February 28, 2007 at 10:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh Congratulations KLAUS!!!!! That is wonderful! Cause for celebration indeed!!

 
At February 28, 2007 at 10:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

congrats, Klaus! :)

I love how those new colorways look -- woo!

And really, I do think the sock hop roving is absolutely fantastically prepared. :)

 
At February 28, 2007 at 11:34 AM, Blogger Kim said...

Congratulations! I was only about 6 when I became a citizen. I have a flag that flew over the Capital building the day it happened. (Apparently, they fly each flag for about 5 minutes, then take it down and fly another, so that they're available for this sort of thing.)

 
At February 28, 2007 at 12:23 PM, Blogger Lorette said...

Hip Hip Hooray! That is a very special day indeed!
I can't wait until you have more of that Sock Hop yarn ready to go. I'd buy it for the color names alone!

 
At February 28, 2007 at 12:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, I heard Klaus is Scottish ;-)

Congrats to Citizen Klaus!!!!

 
At February 28, 2007 at 12:53 PM, Blogger Leah said...

Congrats Klaus! What a special day for both of you!!

 
At February 28, 2007 at 1:33 PM, Blogger hillary said...

Congratulations to Klaus! Thats a fabulous reason to celebrate. I love the new colorways too.

 
At February 28, 2007 at 2:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations! What an awesome accomplishment!

 
At February 28, 2007 at 2:42 PM, Blogger Jennifer said...

Congratulations Klaus!

 
At February 28, 2007 at 3:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How wonderful! I'm so happy for you and your sweetheart Teyani! Congrats!

Love the new yarn too btw!

 
At February 28, 2007 at 3:41 PM, Blogger --Deb said...

Congratulations! That is wonderful news!! My grandparents were naturalized Germans, too . . . it's a wonderful thing. I'm so happy for you!

 
At February 28, 2007 at 7:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats to Klaus, what an exciting day!

 
At March 1, 2007 at 7:22 AM, Blogger Chris said...

Congrats, Klaus!!

 
At March 1, 2007 at 7:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations Klaus!

 
At March 1, 2007 at 9:44 PM, Blogger Knittinreed said...

Congratulations, Klaus!!!!!

 
At March 2, 2007 at 6:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations and hurrahs! Big big day.

 
At March 2, 2007 at 7:59 AM, Blogger Ramona said...

Congratulations! What a nice accomplishment.

 
At March 2, 2007 at 8:58 AM, Blogger Denise said...

Congratulations, Klaus!

 
At March 2, 2007 at 4:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations, Klaus! I work in a federal courthouse so I have the honor of seeing the smiling faces of new citizens a couple times a month. I love talking to people in the elevator as they are on their way to the ceremony. They are always so excited and nervous and proud. It makes my day.

 
At March 3, 2007 at 8:40 AM, Blogger knitseashore said...

Congratulations to Klaus!! We are very glad you are a fellow citizen. Enjoy that sirloin and the apple pie as part of your special day. :)

Your new yarns are beautiful, Teyani!

 
At March 3, 2007 at 3:20 PM, Blogger Krista McCurdy said...

Congratulations! I still remember when my mother became a U.S. citizen, about ten years ago.

 
At March 5, 2007 at 9:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats to Klaus!
And that Grape Jelly color from your post above really speaks to me! It could be that I'm hungry, but I think I just really like the saturation of that gorgeous purple.

 
At March 9, 2007 at 11:51 AM, Blogger Carola said...

Congratulations Klaus. While the U.S. citizens are happy to finally get you sind die Deutschen traurig dich gehen zu sehen. But I'm sure you will keep on enjoying the best of both worlds. Feiert schön!

 

<< Home