the Intrepid Fiberwizard

adventures in spinning, knitting, gardening and life

Monday, February 19, 2007

Enchanted by Cables

I have long wished to knit a cabled sweater. Many moons ago, I purchased a copy of the book Viking Patterns for Knitting by Elsebeth Lavold. I would linger over the photos and dream about the day I would be able to understand the small hieroglyphics .
The day has arrived.
I have been knitting cables like a woman possessed! Here's a sock knit from Do You Wanna Dance Sock Hop Yarn - knit up in Rib and Cable pattern by Nancy Bush.
And I am working on a wild pattern that includes cables for my Bloomin Feet Sock swap ( that's a post all unto itself soon)

Perhaps I could back up for a moment here and share yet another class I took at the Madrona Fiber Arts Fair.... yes - another one (actually there is yet one more, after this, that I will share at some future date.. ahem) The class was titled "Morphing Cables" with Fiona Ellis.
What did I learn? (you mean aside from the fact that I can make very ugly class samples?) I learned that I have absolutely no desire to become a designer. The class was very free-form, and many students simply took off with their designs. Not so, this wizard. I just messed about a bit, moving one stitch over 3 (not so pretty) moving one stitch across row after row (also not too pretty) etc. Ultimately I came to appreciate and love my knitting books even more! You might also notice in the photo that the sample is off the needles, and momentarily going to be ripped out!



And here, I have evidence that I spent a bit of time in our fiber booth (hee hee) a blogging friend, Marisol, stopped by to say hello - and Klaus snapped this photo of us. It's one of my favorite parts of fiber fairs (to have people stop by and say hi) - me? I'm the red-head wearing the swallowtail shawl.






Once we got home from the show, I awaited a special order that I had placed ...... it arrived about a week ago (could you hear the loud applause all across the land?) - I ordered this dk weight merino to be hand dyed by Jessie (the queen of subtle dyeing!) The color has been difficult to photograph in its true likeness - I would call it a dusty rose, or maybe even a soft raspberry sherbet... whichever - it's glorious.

I quickly got out my ball winder, made cakes of four skeins, and cast on for the sweater that is featured on the book's cover. It is knit with size 4 and size 5 needles.
The more I knit with it, the more I love it. I wanted soft changes in the color, that would move throughout the sweater, adding depth to the eye. And Jessie gave me exactly what I had hoped for. Isn't it wonderful! Jessie has a great blog, and also an online store, A Piece of Vermont. Hop on over and check out her yarns.

In order to avoid becoming marooned on the fabled "Sleeve Island", I started the sleeves first! I've completed even more than this photo shows - and am only about 20 rows from finishing both sleeves. I'm hoping to begin the front of the sweater later on today.

Celtic cables have captured me with their charm.


On a final, yet unrelated note: SusannaHansson (who taught the Lapland Mittens class) has announced that she will be teaching this class at Webs (in Massachusetts) in Sept. 2007, and perhaps even at Stitches East. She will also be at the Nordic Knitting Conference in Seattle, as I mentioned on my earlier post. This is an amazing class - I highly recommend it!

27 Comments:

At February 19, 2007 at 9:03 AM, Blogger Sarah said...

That sweater is turning out great! I love the color...it looks like yummy berry stains or something!

 
At February 19, 2007 at 11:22 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I love "my" sock yarn in that pattern! And Jessie's yarn looks so yummy. I too love her blog and her fiber. Your cables are amazing, Teyani!

 
At February 19, 2007 at 12:29 PM, Blogger --Deb said...

Ah, there is definitely something about those cabled sweaters . . . And Viking Knits? I've been drooling over that one for years! (grin) Yours looks just fabulou!

 
At February 19, 2007 at 2:00 PM, Blogger Dave said...

That is going to be one gorgeous sweater!

 
At February 19, 2007 at 2:18 PM, Blogger margene said...

The yarn Jessie dyed is so fabulous! I LOVE the color. You must be enjoying it so much!

 
At February 19, 2007 at 2:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a beautiful raspberry color!!!Good luck on your project!!

 
At February 19, 2007 at 2:48 PM, Blogger Carole Knits said...

Jessie does dye great colors and I love what you chose for your sweater.

 
At February 19, 2007 at 3:08 PM, Blogger Chris said...

I LOVE how your sweater looks! Jessie has some serious dyeing skills.

 
At February 19, 2007 at 3:44 PM, Blogger hillary said...

The yarn Jessie dyed is fabulous. I really love the subtle changes in the color and it's perfect with those cables.

 
At February 19, 2007 at 4:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very lovely yarn. I do like a subtle color change, and it is perfect for your sweater. That is an amazing sweater.

 
At February 19, 2007 at 4:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been feeling the lure of cables as well, in particular those of E. Lavold. You are such an enabler :-)

 
At February 19, 2007 at 5:15 PM, Blogger canknitian said...

Lovely, lovely work!

Even if the colour isn't quite right, I love the look of it in the basket.

 
At February 19, 2007 at 6:10 PM, Blogger Jennifer said...

Gorgeous yarn! I love cables.

 
At February 20, 2007 at 12:01 AM, Blogger ikkinlala said...

That sweater will be beautiful!

 
At February 20, 2007 at 1:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love that colour!!I have a skein of Jessie's sock yarn here, that I'm having fun just petting :)

 
At February 20, 2007 at 2:58 AM, Blogger Jackie said...

So nice! I think that I may some day reach cables, but probabaly not for about 15 years. The colour of your yarn is lovely. (It's PINK too! hehe)

 
At February 20, 2007 at 3:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay, I've been waiting to see those cables show up on your blog! Looking good....

 
At February 20, 2007 at 4:38 AM, Blogger Laurie said...

Lovely! Cables are thoroughly addicted. I agree that some brains are wired to design and some aren't. Mine, also, is not.

 
At February 20, 2007 at 6:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful cables! I love them so much, and the sweater is going to be fantastic!

 
At February 20, 2007 at 6:11 AM, Blogger Stacey said...

what beautiful yarn! The color is wonderful - so subtle. That is going to be one amazing cable project!!!

 
At February 20, 2007 at 10:02 AM, Blogger Karen said...

What a beautiful sweater that is! I would say you have the cable thing down! :) The yarn shows off the cables so nicely. Very pretty!

 
At February 20, 2007 at 11:59 AM, Blogger Kim said...

I love Jessie's yarn! And you've got such great looking sleeves, the sweater will be just gorgeous.

 
At February 20, 2007 at 7:21 PM, Blogger Miri Mack said...

That's going to be one lovely sweater :-)

 
At February 21, 2007 at 8:25 AM, Blogger Anna said...

Oh no!!! I'm supposed to be destashing! How on earth do I get my hands on some of that yarn?

 
At February 23, 2007 at 6:40 AM, Blogger clothesknit said...

yet another post bloglines didn't pick up! aaack! the color for celtic cables is glorious. just glorious. and the do you wanna dance...mmmm!

 
At February 23, 2007 at 4:08 PM, Blogger Lorette said...

Oh my. Whatever you call that color, it's gorgeous. Your cables are lovely; I have several Lavold books, but not that one.

 
At February 26, 2007 at 9:43 AM, Blogger Tonni said...

The yarn and cables are just fabulous! Can't wait to see a pic of the finished sweater :)

 

<< Home