the Intrepid Fiberwizard

adventures in spinning, knitting, gardening and life

Saturday, February 10, 2007

Madrona Fiber Arts: Modular Knitting

Ginger Luters taught a great class at Madrona Fiber Arts. Her designs are fabulous - her choice of color incredible. She made it look so easy. And she also communicated her skill in a simple, concise way.
I was motivated to take this class because of this:

Yup - left over bits of skeins that continue to grow in my basket - eventually I will have leftovers of all the Sock Hop Yarn colors after I have made all my socks.. (at least that is my hope). But what to do with them? Read along and you'll see.









Ginger's class was chock full of information. We learned many of the types of modular knits fabric. I shot photos of a few of her pieces. Aren't they lovely?













While I am not able to go into all the techniques (you'll need to take her class or perhaps buy her book) I can share a few of the really ugly things I made during class.... (I had already ripped apart most of them before I realized I should take a blog photo - oopps)
We made garter stitch squares that magically attached to each other, stockingette squares that seemed to bloom out in all directions, and even a few triangles. (yeah - I know, I probably could have chosen better colors to mix - but you get the idea. We learned a great technique to make stockingette squares really square - and learned when to use a cable cast on instead of long tail (and why). There was so much information that finally made sense to me. I had purchased the book awhile ago, but had not fully comprehended it.



So I came home, ripped out all the other really ugly squares I made in class and began to play.
In the back of my mind, a design for a Sock Hop Afghan was taking form. I've gotten a small start on it - and the jury is still out as to whether it will be one of those funky-ugly things that I hide whenever company comes over, or will it be an astoundingly creative show piece..??? I plan on continuing to add to it as I finish spinning all the colors. I'm rather amazed at how different this yarn looks when knit in mitered squares versus knit as socks. (note to self: write down the pattern I made up for this afghan - so that I will be able to keep adding to it in another month or two)
What's your vote? thumbs up or down?

21 Comments:

At February 10, 2007 at 9:48 AM, Blogger Dave said...

Up! Well, so far, anyway. :-)

I really like the blue border on your squares -- it really helps to tie the different colours together.

 
At February 10, 2007 at 10:19 AM, Blogger hillary said...

I agree with Dave, the blue edge helps to tie ot all together. I've been fascinated with modular knitting for a while. It looks like it would be one of those really magical techniques that continue to amaze you long after you get the hang of it.

 
At February 10, 2007 at 11:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I lovelovelove the way the Sock Hop yarn looks in the mitered squares. Agreed on the single color edging to tie the squares together. I think I might make 1/3 to 1/2 the squares of a single solid (or solidish) color to give the eye a resting place among all the colors that will make up the finished piece. Having said that, I say make what ever pleases you!

 
At February 10, 2007 at 11:19 AM, Blogger Thorny said...

Ooh, that looks like it's going to be so cool! And I think it's so interesting how different the Sock Hop yarns look in the mitered squares than they do in socks. And the blue edging on the squares is really nice - helps keep the different squares a bit more distinct.

Can't wait to see it "grow"!

 
At February 10, 2007 at 12:24 PM, Blogger Jennifer said...

I love it!

 
At February 10, 2007 at 1:11 PM, Blogger Wendy Stackhouse said...

I vote a resounding yes and I own so many colors of roving now, I might end up with enough for a blanket after all my socks are done, too!

The new colors arrived today and are SO beautiful, even more than I thought they would be. Thank you so much!

 
At February 10, 2007 at 1:55 PM, Blogger Stacey said...

thumbs up here too! What a great idea for all your leftovers!

 
At February 10, 2007 at 2:38 PM, Blogger sheep#100 said...

The first picture reminds me of a vikkel heel.

 
At February 10, 2007 at 3:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

thumbs up!!! At best it will be stunning and at worst it will be a funky blanket to cuddle up in. I like it.

 
At February 10, 2007 at 6:14 PM, Blogger Lori said...

100% thumbs up. I think it looks wonderful, and I believe with your excellent color intuition you can make it work very well.

 
At February 10, 2007 at 7:52 PM, Blogger Chris said...

So far, so good!! I'm picturing it looking like a scrap quilt.

 
At February 11, 2007 at 4:56 AM, Blogger Jackie said...

Keep knitting. I like the kmkat's idea of the solid colour squares every now and then.

 
At February 11, 2007 at 5:53 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Oh, whatever you do will be the right thing. You can obsess about them for the entire time it takes to knit up all the squares, and by then it will be clear. Intrepid fiberwizards have excellent instincts. Say that three times fast, I dare you!

 
At February 11, 2007 at 7:08 AM, Blogger Jennifer said...

I think it is beautiful. I can't wait to see it all come together.

 
At February 11, 2007 at 7:37 AM, Blogger Karen said...

What a fun and pretty afghan that will be. You won't be hiding it, I will bet on that!

 
At February 11, 2007 at 12:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It looks great so far!

 
At February 12, 2007 at 9:47 AM, Blogger margene said...

Thank you for sharing the class! Your squares are fabulous. An afghan from your left over sock hop socks will be a wonderful memory. The technique looks much like Vivian Hoxbro's and I have enjoyed her patterns.

 
At February 12, 2007 at 10:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This would be a valuable visual aid for spinners choosing a roving. Post it and take it to shows.

 
At February 15, 2007 at 9:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was in Ginger's Log-Cabin Knitting class and enjoyed it a lot. She really teaches you things, instead of just doing show-and-tells (often seems to happen in classes these days).

Ditto everyone about the blue border tying things together.

 
At February 15, 2007 at 1:22 PM, Blogger Miri Mack said...

Way up! That will be astoundingly gorgeous.

 
At February 27, 2007 at 9:18 AM, Blogger Cybèle said...

I've only just discovered your blog and starting reading previous entries and came across this one. Love the photos and will have to go and check out this modular knitting now - I've never heard of it but it looks stunning!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home